SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Autofocuser recommendations for an Edge HD 8

The inability to achieve reliable precise focus when doing AP, whether it be deep sky or planetary has finally taken its toll on my last nerve.

80% of my scope time is spent imaging with a Celestron 8" Edge HD  (with .7 reducer for deep sky) attached to a Losmandy G11 mounted to a permanent pier in a roll off roof observatory.

So I have come to the decision that its overdue for an autofocuser, preferably one that I can also control from my PC. I have read posts from users of Edge HD systems experiencing problems with backfocus in the image train when using crayford type systems like Moonlite etc. So I have primarily been looking at primary autofocusers like the ones from Rigel systems, (unb stepper) Robofocus and JMI.

Frankly there is so much info on the JMI page that it is difficult to see what is needed there, let alone calculate a cost. Plus the Rigel system and Robofocus do seem to fall more into my price range for a remote access system (inside my home).

So I am looking for advice, recommendations, warnings etc on either of the systems I have mentioned, plus if you know of another that works with this scope, I would love to hear that to.

There is the possibility that I may upgrade the 8 edge to an 11 edge sometime in the future, so a system with a conversion kit would be a great bonus.

But for now I just want a reliable precise way to autofocus via hc & pc.

Thanks for any advice you can give,

Randy

Archived