NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello with a Question.

HarryLP

I have been dipping into Stargazers Lounge on and off now for a few years along with the other popular Cloudy Nights, so thought its about time I officially joined up.

By way of background interest similar to many members; an initial interest way back in my teenage years, bought and read a few PM books but no telescope. Then as many have said 'life takes over' and before we know it 50 years pass in a flash.

Anyway back in Dec 2019 purchased my first scope the Lidl Bresser 70/700 Skylux on the basis of being a reasonable telescope for the money with some well publicised shortcomings (poor Eps) but a good tripod and in my case a good lense.  So in my view not a lot to lose but everything to gain.

Time would prove this approach to be correct. Biggest regret left the scope in the box for a few months before assembling and using. First look at the moon with the included H20mm and I was hooked, the H4mm of little use. But from my reading I was expecting this to be the case so not put off. Quickly bought a 20mm Plossl (thought to be a Vixen) and the a SW 25mm Planetary UWA from Astroboot. Major improvement.

In August 2020 I ordered the 200p DOB Skyliner from FLO by this time the delivery issues due to Covid had begun and my scope was not delivered until the first week of November but FLO had made me aware of this at point of order and I was happy to accept. My Skyliner is now worth more than I paid for it.

Since then I have been buying other UWAs and enjoying my viewing sessions when I can.

What has really come as big unwelcome surprise is how much cloud cover we have and how little I get out. Only twice this January and nothing so far this month.

Which brings me to my question, we still have the Sun to look at ? My Skylux came with a Solar Filter (its still in the sealed plastic bag). I have searched online and have been unable to obtain any reviews of the solar filter which came with my Skylux. Has anybody out there used this? I guess it should be safe for visual observing but would really appreciate if anyone having used one could confirm.

Clear Skies All

Harry

• Like 1

Andy,

It's for the front of the 70/700. Should fit over the Dew Cap   Yellow plastic surround with the filter itself being a silver color material. I think it's got 3 or 4 screws to hold in place.  I guess should be ok or there would be a lot of law suits over the years.

Harry

1 minute ago, HarryLP said:

Andy,

It's for the front of the 70/700. Should fit over the Dew Cap   Yellow plastic surround with the filter itself being a silver color material. I think it's got 3 or 4 screws to hold in place.  I guess should be ok or there would be a lot of law suits over the years.

Harry

Harry

I am not converse with your scope so on your scope the dust cover has an opening that the solar filter can fit again check with FLO to be safe 

Andy

Hello and welcome. I started out with the same scope (without the sun filter). The improvement I got with a couple of second-hand plossls was the biggest upgrade jump I've made. Hope you continue to have fun when the clouds allow.

Hello from a fellow new member.

On the question of white-light solar observing an option may be to start with solar projection - stopping down the objective of the scope and focusing the image of the sun onto a piece of white card. I started this way (and continue to use this for visual observation). It's easy and safe (not that other methods aren't if done correctly). It also gives you a healthy respect for being carful with solar observation. I've observed and drawn many sunspot groups by this method. Just an alternative starting point 🙂.

Hi,

Thanks to all for your warm welcome to SGL.

I tried different search parameters looking for information on Solar Filters and got some useful advice. Encouraged by this I took my unused Bresser Solar Filter out of it's unopened sealed package. Looked for any obvious defects, creases, holes etc and finding none held it up to a bright light source. My bright light was reduced to a pin prick.

Encouraged by this I then held it up to the Sun. Even with just looking with the unaided eye through the filter I have only ever seen photographs of what I was now seeing. A round orange disk that did not dazzle my eyes or cause any discomfort.

Located the safety leaflet which came with the Bresser Telescope package; EN and ISO numbers stated. Proceeded to the scope and secured filter over the dew cap, fit appears snug. Removed view finder. Move outside; rechecked fit, removed end cap from diagonal located the sun. Could see the sun light source through diagonal. As per the safety manual inserted the H20mm ep which came as a part of the package (I had also found a recommendation on SGL to use an H ep as there would no risk of cemented lenses  being damaged). Use of the supplied H4mm not recommended as it "yields blurred solar images).

Had my first ever look through a telescope at the Sun. Well defined orange disk with a single black spot. Rotated ep to see if the spot moved it did not. Surprised by the color was expecting a white disk but orange is good.

With the winds we are experiencing in the UK, scope unsteady so quickly packed up after 5 mins . Made it inside before the rains came.

The pleasure and satisfaction of such a simple test seeming to go right.

Harry