Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Next Step

pbyrne

Hi all

I am looking to move up from my 10x50s to a pair of 15x70s and after much searching of the Web, I have read plenty of reviews about different models and there are a few that have caught my eye.

1: https://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/apm-ed-apo-16x70-magnesium-series-binoculars

2: https://www.astroshop.eu/instruments/omegon-binoculars-argus-16x70/p,47249

3: https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/Binoculars/BRESSER-Spezial-Astro-SF-15x70-Binoculars.html

4: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1405_TS-Optics-15x70MX-Outdoor-ED-APO-Binoculars--with-Nitrogen-Filling.html

5: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-binoculars/celestron-skymaster-pro-15x70-binoculars.html

6: https://eu.telescope.com/Telescopes/Orion-Resolux-15x70-Waterproof-Astronomy-Binoculars/rc/488/p/113420.uts

The binos will be used for deep-sky, the occasional look at the moon and planets and will be mounted on a p-mount.

From my reading, numbers 2-5 look to be fairly similar in specs and price with them.  I have read many reviews and they all seem to be good quality items. 

The APMs and the Omegons look to be the standout pair in the six listed and any others out there. 

My main question is this:  I know that there are always potential differences between one batch of binos and another, even in the same series, all things being equal, can I expect similar performances between numbers 2-5?

Moving onto the APMs and the Omegons, there is a €300 to €400 difference between them and the rest, is there a justrification of such a huge difference in price to go for one of these?  WIll I get €400 worth of improvement?

I am looking specificlly for straight through binoculars and not angled models.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by pbyrne
  • Like 1

I don't have experience with any of the listed binoculars but what I do know is that there are many aspects that conspire to reduce the pleasure of using a binocular and the more you spend, within reason, the less these aspects will arise.   🙂

• Like 1

Hi Alan

I'm a big fan of Steve's site and newsletter, great information from a dedidcated man.  HIs reviews are excellent and without bias, including the Bresser model for the Sky at Night magazine.

• Like 1

Since you have an Orion product listed I will chime in.  I have the Orion 20x80 binoculars, been using them on and off for the last six months or so. They give a very nice image and I have had no issues with them at all.  If you buy the kit they come with a surprisingly nice tripod that works well better then expected.  They were about 300USD as I remember and worth every penny.

I have the Skymaster Pro 15x70 and am happy with them.  However, I did have to return 3 of them before I finally received a set properly collimated and without an abberration that appears similar to astigmatism on one side or the other.  Quality control seems to be poor.

Hopefully they stay in collimation because unlike the basic Skymasters, there are no adjustment screws accessible.

• Like 1

TS Marine 15x70 will be good choice. I have been using something like this for last 3 years. Great views. At the same time I had 10x50. Nice combo.
Remember that better quality is more important than magnification.

Last month I upgraded my equipment and bought APM 10x50 and 25x100.

Edited by dexter77
  • Like 1

One of my nicest binos is a Ddoptics Pirschler 15x56 with Abbe-König-prisms. Got mine at a discount for 500€. Very solid magnesium construction, very good edge performance, very bright, nice to handle with the open bridge design. And lifetime warranty no matter where you bought it or if you kept the receipt (let's hope Ddoptics will be around for a long time).

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions of different size binos, I have a pair of Pentax 15x70s and a pair of Strathspey 20x90s, looking to bridge the gap.

I have the Skymaster Pro 15x70 and am happy with them.  However, I did have to return 3 of them before I finally received a set properly collimated and without an abberration that appears similar to astigmatism on one side or the other.  Quality control seems to be poor.

Hopefully they stay in collimation because unlike the basic Skymasters, there are no adjustment screws accessible.

That sounds worrying, having to return three pairs, it doesn't say a lot about quality control at the Celestron factory.

They arrived today, viewing through them the first time, it became obvious that they are out of collimation, this is so disappointing and for a moment, I considered attemptng to collimate them mself, I have done this before.  Seeing as they are new, the better option is to return them for a new pair.  

It is just so annoying, Amazons idea of secure packaging is a single piece of crumpled paper pushed to one side of the binocular box is bizarre, whether they came from the factory not collimated or it happened during transit, I don't know.

If the second pair also don't come up to the mark, I will demand a refund.

• Sad 1

I have a pair of Pentax 20x60 WP binoculars and a pair of Opticron Oregon 15x70. The Opticrons are excellent value for the money (£99) from FLO. The collimation was and still is spot on, and I find myself using them more than my Pentax 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The second pair arrived and they looked like they were second hand.  The rubber covering over the prism housing was not secure and when I gently peeled them back, the silicone covering of the screws was missing, it looked like they were interferred with.  I can only assume both pairs were from a poor batch from China, I did not take up the offer for a third pair and demanded a refund.

Very disappointing.

• Sad 1