SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Half a Heart

Adam1234

I've now got pane 2 of what is to be a 4 pane mosaic of the Heart Nebula IC 1805. 

As it's moving down towards the West more each day, the current weather dictates that I'm probably not going to finish it this side of the year, so here's the progress so far.

5hrs each of Ha and Oiii. With Ha also used as luminance (HaHOO).

1140422951_Heart_Panels12.thumb.jpg.6ea0d289180e702b66066eb5bbd458ce.jpg

• Like 27

Thanks Scotty.

Nothing that I believe to be out of the ordinary, just pretty much followed the tutorials described by Light Vortex Astronomy and Trapped Photons:

- calibrated, registered and stacked the individual panels for each filter (during registration stage registered the Oiii to the best Ha sub so Oiii and Ha are already aligned)

- dynamic crop to cut out the stacking artefacts (same crop applied to Ha and Oiii stack per panel)

- DBE on each stack

- build rough mosaic using star alignment (settings 2d surface splines, distortion correction and register/union-mosaic)

- register each panel to the rough mosaic (settings 2d surface splines, distortion correction, and register/match images)

- dynamic crop on the rough mosaic to remove any dark edges or uneven edges. Apply tye same crop to all registered panels

- DNAlinear fit script to match intensities

- Gradient Merge Mosaic to create the final mosaic

https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-preparing-a-mosaic.html

http://trappedphotons.com/blog/?p=994

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adam1234 said:

I've now got pane 2 of what is to be a 4 pane mosaic of the Heart Nebula IC 1805. 

That's looking great Adam.  Fantastic colour and detail.

Knowing the weather, it'll let you get all of the third pane but just the Ha on the fourth or something!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, geeklee said:

That's looking great Adam.  Fantastic colour and detail.

Knowing the weather, it'll let you get all of the third pane but just the Ha on the fourth or something!

Thanks mate!  

I'd go a step further and say it would let me complete pane 3, let me get the Ha for pane 4, and then only half the Oiii

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Adam1234 said:

Thanks Scotty.

Nothing that I believe to be out of the ordinary, just pretty much followed the tutorials described by Light Vortex Astronomy and Trapped Photons:

- calibrated, registered and stacked the individual panels for each filter (during registration stage registered the Oiii to the best Ha sub so Oiii and Ha are already aligned)

- dynamic crop to cut out the stacking artefacts (same crop applied to Ha and Oiii stack per panel)

- DBE on each stack

- build rough mosaic using star alignment (settings 2d surface splines, distortion correction and register/union-mosaic)

- register each panel to the rough mosaic (settings 2d surface splines, distortion correction, and register/match images)

- dynamic crop on the rough mosaic to remove any dark edges or uneven edges. Apply tye same crop to all registered panels

- DNAlinear fit script to match intensities

- Gradient Merge Mosaic to create the final mosaic

https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-preparing-a-mosaic.html

http://trappedphotons.com/blog/?p=994

Thanks much appreciated. I didn't have too much luck with my first attempt  but, unless they were automated somehow, I didn't do some of the things you mention so will have another go at it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Thanks much appreciated. I didn't have too much luck with my first attempt  but, unless they were automated somehow, I didn't do some of the things you mention so will have another go at it.

Good luck for your next attempt 

• Like 1

On 04/02/2022 at 08:52, Adam1234 said:

That's a cracking image. Great detail and 3D effect. Can't wait to see the finished mosaic (whenever that might be - next weather window due in April I think!!)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Clarkey said:

That's a cracking image. Great detail and 3D effect. Can't wait to see the finished mosaic (whenever that might be - next weather window due in April I think!!)

Thank you! 

I probably won't complete it until December now as it's getting closer to the roof of my flat each night