Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mayday--Out of Commission !

It finally happened--my laptop died.  Maybe the worst part about it is it happoened at the start of what would have been the best night in teh last year.  Laptops are supposed to be able to run without a battery--if they are [plugged in.  But mine won't.  At first I thought it was teh battery.  I turned it on and it died.  It would not turn back on.  I thought it was teh charger or the cable, but no.  I took it insiode and it finally did turn omn--but teh battery was not charging.  I read that a laptop can run without teh battery if plugged in.  As a test, I ran mine until teh battery was 0 and it stayed on.  However, after I cklosed it up and then tried to start it up again...plugged in....it would not start.

Can anyone recommend a laptop that is good for what we do?  I have had 2 that really were not very good.  Both were unstable with Pixinsight--cuasing memory read errors when using DBE that the PI staff could never duplicate.  Both were touch screen computers--maybe that had something to do with it.  Both were very expensive.  I have asked thios question before and no one, it seems, has any idea--yet everyone uses one (or many do now in the age of Eagles and other non laptop controlling devices).

Bottom line--I am dead in the water until I replace the laptop.  I want to do it right this time.  One thing for certain is I HATE WINDOWS when it it comes to astrophotography.  Many times I go out to the rig in the middle of a run only to find the computer had rebooted and I lost 45 minutes.  

Please...I am in a dingy in shark infested waters with no paddle.  

Rodd

Edited by Rodd

3 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

My first checks would be an after market battery. Or a laptop battery repair company. These people stick new cells into old housings.

Yeah but the screen is cracked (has been for a year) and the thing is on its last leg anyway.  The USB 3 only works as USB 2--I only have 2 usbs.  It would be foolish to spend mony on this one.  Its time to replace it and do it right.  

• Rodd changed the title to Mayday--Out of Commition!

I got a refurbished Lenovo ThinkPad with an i7 processor & 500GB SSD for running the imaging, think I paid about £140 for it. But that's all it does, all the processing & post-processing with PI is done on my desktop with a good graphics card and plenty of RAM. 

33 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Laptops are supposed to be able to run without a battery--if they are [plugged in.  But mine won't. 

Some laptops can refuse to work in these circumstances if the internal CMOS battery (usually a button cell) has expired. On some motherboards they are held in place by a spring clip and can be replaced easily; on others, they are soldered into place.

But if you have other reasons for replacing it, fair enough.

12 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

I got a refurbished Lenovo ThinkPad with an i7 processor & 500GB SSD for running the imaging, think I paid about £140 for it. But that's all it does, all the processing & post-processing with PI is done on my desktop with a good graphics card and plenty of RAM. 

Thats the other problem--I can only afford one--so I do my processing on the laptop.  With 16G RAM and an SSD  it should be OK.  Anyway--it has to be.  Only so much $ in teh bank!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Some laptops can refuse to work in these circumstances if the internal CMOS battery (usually a button cell) has expired. On some motherboards they are held in place by a spring clip and can be replaced easily; on others, they are soldered into place.

But if you have other reasons for replacing it, fair enough.

Interesting.  Some laptops  have a little reset hole on teh back cover---mine doesnt (naturally).  I am not a computer savy person--definitely do not want to open tghe thing up.  If I have someone do it--it will no dioubt cost hundreds,  Time for a new one.  I am considering a refurbished rugged laptop.  I have cracked 2 screens on laptops in the field.  

7 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Have you tried running it on mains with the battery removed ? (I don't mean the button cell)

That's how I run my laptops with dead batteries.

Michael

I wouldn't know how to remove it--I have to take the whole back off with special hex allen wrenches.  Once I do this--is it easy to remove the battery?  I have decided to replace it so while I wait I might as well give it a shot.

11 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

All my laptops have a catch on the underside that allows the battery to slide out of the casing.

What laptop is it ?

Google for a replacement battery and see if that gives you any intsructions on replacement.

Michael

Its a lenovo yoga.  There is no catch or panel.  The bottom/back has  hex screws (6-8?) holding the back on.  

10 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

The videos for replacing the battery look easy enough ?

Some Torx 5 screws hold the back on.

Then some Philips/Pozidrive screws for the battery.

And one power connector.

Michael

So just unconnect the battery and it should work?  I'll give it a go...thanks

15 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Might work, worth a try

Michael

Meanwhile--I am looking at a tough book (military grade)--I have cracked two screens on $2,000 laptops--no more.  The tough book is reconditionsed but warranteed by reputable company in business for many years.  Its only $900 so worth a try.  I will use it for processing too--do you tink core i5 is enough or is i7 needed for processing.  There are so many variables its hard to know.

I would say if your processing images  aswell get all the best specs you can afford, I recently got a acer aspire 5 with I7 and nvidia graphics card and I upgraded and installed myself from the 8gb ram to 20gb ram and also upgraded the 512gb ssd to a 1tb crucial  p5 plus, it’s as fast as lightning now and memory is pretty cheap these days and easy to install yourself, it was my first go at upgrading the ram and ssd on a laptop and was a piece of cake, if just using to run your setup nothing special is required really 

8 minutes ago, Craig a said:

I would say if your processing images  aswell get all the best specs you can afford, I recently got a acer aspire 5 with I7 and nvidia graphics card and I upgraded and installed myself from the 8gb ram to 20gb ram and also upgraded the 512gb ssd to a 1tb crucial  p5 plus, it’s as fast as lightning now and memory is pretty cheap these days and easy to install yourself, it was my first go at upgrading the ram and ssd on a laptop and was a piece of cake, if just using to run your setup nothing special is required really 

What is the screen resolution.  Is the touch pad precise (I hate impercise touch pads).  Does it have a serial port?  Is there anyway to get a production model without blaoware and all the damn stuff I don't need--the windows stuff.  I hate windows.  All I really want are my acquisitiion and processing software

19 minutes ago, Craig a said:

I read that the Acer Aspire 5 can be upgraded to 12 GB RAM--how did you get to 20?

Sorry to hear this Rodd, I am pretty rubbish at IT stuff, so can't advise, but how do you crack a laptop screen, let alone two of them?

I always use reconditioned laptops and desktops off Ebay, never paid more than £100 for one, but I don't use Pixinsight, so probably can manage with less RAM etc.

Carole 

4 minutes ago, carastro said:

Sorry to hear this Rodd, I am pretty rubbish at IT stuff, so can't advise, but how do you crack a laptop screen, let alone two of them?

I always use reconditioned laptops and desktops off Ebay, never paid more than £100 for one, but I don't use Pixinsight, so probably can manage with less RAM etc.

Carole 

Thanks Carole--well, I use it for aquisition, so I am for long perides of time out at night in all kinds of conditions.  It does take much when it 10 degrees out.  A slight bump--I guess I am clumsy.   I am usually in a hurry too--not good when there is ice and snow about.  If I had a desk top for procesing I would be able to get a cheap laptop or tablet for aquisition.  But I can't afford both--so I use it for both.  Doing research on computers is far worse than doing research on scopes and cameras--its all numebers and speeds, and versions, and acronyms.  I wish someone would develope a laptop specifically for what we do.  Windows not needed!

39 minutes ago, Rodd said:

I read that the Acer Aspire 5 can be upgraded to 12 GB RAM--how did you get to 20?

My model can be upgraded to 20gb it all depends on the model, the screen is full HD not 4K or anything special just normal 1080p. 
I just delete any programs on there I don’t need 

this is mine but I have the i7 version read the specs on installable ram

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a515-56g-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10224404-pdt.html

Edited by Craig a

14 minutes ago, Craig a said:

My model can be upgraded to 20gb it all depends on the model, the screen is full HD not 4K or anything special just normal 1080p. 
I just delete any programs on there I don’t need 

this is mine but I have the i7 version read the specs on installable ram

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a515-56g-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10224404-pdt.html

My screen now is 4K--how do images look on full HD--can you see a difference?.  Also--how do you delete stuff that is in Wndows--all teh features and things that I don't want but cant be removed?

3 minutes ago, Rodd said:

My screen now is 4K--how do images look on full HD--can you see a difference?.  Also--how do you delete stuff that is in Wndows--all teh features and things that I don't want but cant be removed?

A lot of “stuff” that’s on there is needed to actually run windows, but to delete something it’s in control panel and programs then click on a programme or feature and click uninstall but be carefull  in knowing what your deleting, as for 4K I don’t think it matters on a laptop screen personally 1080p is enough if it’s a separate bigger external monitor then it may be better to have 4K but I don’t think it’s essential