Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mayday--Out of Commission !

7 minutes ago, Craig a said:

A lot of “stuff” that’s on there is needed to actually run windows, but to delete something it’s in control panel and programs then click on a programme or feature and click uninstall but be carefull  in knowing what your deleting, as for 4K I don’t think it matters on a laptop screen personally 1080p is enough if it’s a separate bigger external monitor then it may be better to have 4K but I don’t think it’s essential 

When I proces images I have a real hard time judging when they should be posted.  i have to look at teh image on all my screens--they all look different.  The iphone looks the best--but it is very small.  My work computer is an el cheapo and images look terrible, my current 4K looks great, but tends to be a bit darker.  My old 4K is even darker--but larger.   On top of all this, when posted, no matter on which screen they look different.  Its all about the images--maximizing the image.  4K seems great--or even 5K or 8K, but on a 15" monitor the resolution may be wasted, though I have heard that the higher resolution screens will still handle transitions better and provide a more pleasing image.   4K is pricey though.  

13 minutes ago, Craig a said:

A lot of “stuff” that’s on there is needed to actually run windows, but to delete something it’s in control panel and programs then click on a programme or feature and click uninstall but be carefull  in knowing what your deleting, as for 4K I don’t think it matters on a laptop screen personally 1080p is enough if it’s a separate bigger external monitor then it may be better to have 4K but I don’t think it’s essential 

Just found this statement

4K display on laptop is worth only if you are editing photos and videos. Then again any 4K won't do. The display must be display true Adobe RGB colours.

7 minutes ago, Rodd said:

When I proces images I have a real hard time judging when they should be posted.  i have to look at teh image on all my screens--they all look different.  The iphone looks the best--but it is very small.  My work computer is an el cheapo and images look terrible, my current 4K looks great, but tends to be a bit darker.  My old 4K is even darker--but larger.   On top of all this, when posted, no matter on which screen they look different.  Its all about the images--maximizing the image.  4K seems great--or even 5K or 8K, but on a 15" monitor the resolution may be wasted, though I have heard that the higher resolution screens will still handle transitions better and provide a more pleasing image.   4K is pricey though.  

I’m not totally technical but posting images online changes images anyway I think, and every screen has different gamut coverage and the higher the coverage the Mose expensive they become a monitor that covers 100% of Adobe rgb and sRGB costs a bomb

im sure I read somewhere that If posting images online the internet only supports sRGB anyway 

Edited by Craig a
  • Like 1

Well--I took the plunge.  AMD equivanent to 11th generation i9 (supposedly better--but who the heck knows), Nvidia high end graphics card (not a technophile so I don't know the nember--but supposedly good for high end gaming), 4K screen (15"--I wanted 17" but they are not that common, especially for the amount I spent), 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD.  

We'll see.  I don't think it has touch screen, which is good.  I don't think PI likes being fondled.  It might though--I don't recall.  Well see how all the software and drivers get along on this boat.  Its a Lenovo, and based on my history, lenovos can operate outside from 0 degrees to 80 degrees easilly (they seem to prefer really cold nights).    It will be the little things--like position of USB ports.  The mouse pad is supposedly very sensative--which is good.  Mine was getting old and jumpy.

Now at least the USB 3 ports will work and I can do lunar imaging again--something I really miss.  Getting all teh software and drivers loaded and the ship ready for the high seas will be a big challenge for me.  I hope I don't get a lemon and have to deal with customer service. 

Meanwhile--I have yet to take the back off the old Lenovo and see if disconnecting teh battery allows it to work.  that would be nice.  then I could use that one for acquisition (until it dies) and use the new one for processing.   Then I can avoid the software and driver issues!  Fingers crossed!!!

Pretty much everything I wanted but the screen size

Great news you got a new one and good specs too, I hated downloading and installing everything back on the new lappy and setting up everything again but once it’s done it’s done, my old laptop sits in the house now during a session linked to my new lappy by the scope via AnyDesk and just control everything from the living room

3 hours ago, Craig a said:

Great news you got a new one and good specs too, I hated downloading and installing everything back on the new lappy and setting up everything again but once it’s done it’s done, my old laptop sits in the house now during a session linked to my new lappy by the scope via AnyDesk and just control everything from the living room

That sounds cool.  I definitely could use some technical modernization. If I can get the old one to work it would bd nice using it to collect data and the née one to process

On 01/02/2022 at 11:10, michael8554 said:

Have you tried running it on mains with the battery removed ? (I don't mean the button cell)

That's how I run my laptops with dead batteries.

Michael

Michael.  I just took out the battery and it still is dead when plugged in.  Any ideas?

2 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Hi Rodd

May be as simple as the power button circuitry needs a sniff of the battery volts.

But that failure shouldn't deter you from removing the batteries on your other laptops, just in case.

Michael

Hmmm.   Not sure I want to open up g to his spanking new machine. It’s not all roses.  It’s a 4K screen and I don’t like it. Colors seem off.  Can’t win 

9 hours ago, Rodd said:

Hmmm.   Not sure I want to open up g to his spanking new machine. It’s not all roses.  It’s a 4K screen and I don’t like it. Colors seem off.  Can’t win 

Maybe the screen needs colour calibrating, do you know what the gamut range of the screen is?