Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO ASI 294MM-Pro vs QHY294M Pro

deanchapman2705

Hi,

I am looking at buying either the ZWO ASI 294MM-Pro or the QHY294M Pro and need help clarifying a few things that should hopefully help make the decision.

Firstly, I have read other forums and know how they are almost identical in terms of performance and I'm slightly more interested in buying the QHY camera. Here's what I can see in terms of differences:

- QHY seems to have a better build quality and cheaper (£1,012 vs £1,431) although harder to initially set up apparently.    

- ZWO is lighter (410g vs 640g) and easier to set up/connect with other ZWO products like the ASIAIR Plus etc.

- Only Modern Astronomy seems to sell QHY products in the UK whereas I prefer to buy from FLO with their outstanding reviews/support etc.

(Others say ZWO has two USB's for the filter wheel although QHY does have a connection for a QHY filter wheel)

Here are the questions:

1. Would ASIAIR Plus work with the QHY camera or would I need to use a laptop to control it separately (because that would be a pain) or if I can - would the controls/stats be limited?

2. Would I be able to use the QHY camera with the ZWO FW if I plug the FW into ASIAIR Plus? (I plan on buying the ZWO Mini EFW rather than the QHY FW for it's smaller size, cheapness and rather childishly because the blue doesn't match my colour scheme 😂)

3. Are there any other things I should know that I have not listed above that could change my mind like extra costs or any more differences between the two cameras etc?

As usual, any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dean

My 2p for you 🙂

1. ASIAIR will not control the QHY.

2. Not sure how you'd be doing this with some kit connected to the ASIAIR and some not (the QHY as in 1. above)

3. As you mentioned the ZWO has the 2 port USB 2 hub that the QHY doesn't but that becomes effectively one if you use the dedicated QHY filterwheel, which I would absolutely do if I bought that camera. I think it bolts on which you won't get with the smaller ZWO wheels and cameras plus I think you'd have to start thinking more about spacers etc if you mix and match.

I have been mulling over this very same decision too by the way!

Edited by scotty38

4 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

My 2p for you 🙂

1. ASIAIR will not control the QHY.

2. Not sure how you'd be doing this with some kit connected to the ASIAIR and some not (the QHY as in 1. above)

3. As you mentioned the ZWO has the 2 port USB 2 hub that the QHY doesn't but that becomes effectively one if you use the dedicated QHY filterwheel, which I would absolutely do if I bought that camera. I think it bolts on which you won't get with the smaller ZWO wheels and cameras plus I think you'd have to start thinking more about spacers etc if you mix and match.

Thanks Scotty, yes that makes sense - I think my only option is to go for the ZWO camera so it can all work with each other. Unless, I could look into Primaluce Lab EAGLE CORE although looks like it's only for DSLR cameras I think - or maybe others like it if there is anything else? Just annoying having to pay £400 more for it to all work together lol

Well if you don't have the ASIAIR already and are not wedded to the idea a mini pc will do it all with varying kit too. I won't pretend that will be as easy to use as the ASIAIR but it will give you the flexibility. You may well want something else for power distribution which certainly adds more cost though.

42 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Well if you don't have the ASIAIR already and are not wedded to the idea a mini pc will do it all with varying kit too. I won't pretend that will be as easy to use as the ASIAIR but it will give you the flexibility. You may well want something else for power distribution which certainly adds more cost though.

Good point, I don't have any of the products I mentioned above yet - I'm used to using a laptop for everything (I say everything but it's purely just for PHD guiding for my ASI120MM Mini guide camera) and like the idea of just using a mobile phone for the portability. I think that decides it then, for £400 more - it's lighter, easier to set up, can connect with ASIAIR to control it all with my phone and being able to buy it from FLO

Thanks for the help!

6 minutes ago, deanchapman2705 said:

Good point, I don't have any of the products I mentioned above yet - I'm used to using a laptop for everything (I say everything but it's purely just for PHD guiding for my ASI120MM Mini guide camera) and like the idea of just using a mobile phone for the portability. I think that decides it then, for £400 more - it's lighter, easier to set up, can connect with ASIAIR to control it all with my phone and being able to buy it from FLO

Thanks for the help!

Sorry I missed what you meant, what is £400 more? That Eagle core is £274 and to be fair, even though I've never used either, is that a  better idea than an ASIAIR if you don't have the QHY already?

1 hour ago, scotty38 said:

Sorry I missed what you meant, what is £400 more? That Eagle core is £274 and to be fair, even though I've never used either, is that a  better idea than an ASIAIR if you don't have the QHY already?

No worries, the £400 more was the price difference between the QHY and ZWO camera. Yeah the Eagle core looked good although looks like it's only for DSLR's 🙁 I think their higher range have the ability to use dedicated astro cameras but they're a LOT more money

I'm weighing up the 294 vs another IMX571 camera. 

You can get it for £957 from astrograph.net - they are UK based:

https://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGQHY294M

I've bought a 268M and a 163M from them. 

Given the near £500 price difference, the ZWO camera isn't a contender for me.

1 hour ago, deanchapman2705 said:

No worries, the £400 more was the price difference between the QHY and ZWO camera. Yeah the Eagle core looked good although looks like it's only for DSLR's 🙁 I think their higher range have the ability to use dedicated astro cameras but they're a LOT more money

Ah yes of course, obvious now you say it 🙂

39 minutes ago, SamAndrew said:

I'm weighing up the 294 vs another IMX571 camera. 

You can get it for £957 from astrograph.net - they are UK based:

https://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGQHY294M

I've bought a 268M and a 163M from them. 

Given the near £500 price difference, the ZWO camera isn't a contender for me.

Also weighing up differences between the qhy and zwo 294. 

@SamAndrewI think the astrograph prices are excluding VAT, but still a big price  difference between zwo and qhy version. 

30 minutes ago, malftobe said:

Also weighing up differences between the qhy and zwo 294. 

@SamAndrewI think the astrograph prices are excluding VAT, but still a big price  difference between zwo and qhy version. 

Ah yes I see, can't believe I missed that, oh well that pushes me toward the other camera I was considering :)

9 hours ago, SamAndrew said:

Ah yes I see, can't believe I missed that, oh well that pushes me toward the other camera I was considering :)

Yeah I came across that and was like yay! But it comes to £1,149 after VAT. I think I'm sticking with the paying the extra and getting the ZWO ASI294MM-Pro just because I'm still quite new to this hobby as well - so I imagine with everything going to be ZWO with my setup, that should also help make things a lot easier to set up and use.

I have a mix of QHY and ZWO camera’s, both are very good camera’s that will deliver excellent imagery if used correctly. The old excuse of poor QHY drivers is dead, the new SDK works great on all 4 of my QHY camera’s. My QHY600, and both 268m camera’s are fitted with QHY filter wheels and they work great with the camera direct connection.

My ZWO 2600 also works great and I can use it with my Asiair mobile setup along with my 1600.

If you are going down the ASIAir route then your choice is limited to the ZWO or DSLR Camera options only. This is the main aspect I don’t like about my ASIair setup.

The main difference between the QHY and ZWO 294 camera’s is;

The ZWO costs £419 more than the QHY (£1012 Modern Astronomy price inc VAT), so you could buy the QHY filterwheel and have some money left towards the filters.

QHY camera’s have engineering support in EU, not just a return to China only option. Though I understand FLO have good support, not sure about after the initial warranty.

I have had no problems with my QHY camera’s and with the exception of my ASI071 (freezing problems) my other ZWO Camera’s have worked without fault.

On resale values, I believe the camera’s are on par with resale values but one costs £419 more so your loss would be greater. That said the ZWO fan base will probably result in a quicker sale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deanchapman2705 said:

Yeah I came across that and was like yay! But it comes to £1,149 after VAT. I think I'm sticking with the paying the extra and getting the ZWO ASI294MM-Pro just because I'm still quite new to this hobby as well - so I imagine with everything going to be ZWO with my setup, that should also help make things a lot easier to set up and use.

I could have written your first post @deanchapman2705!

It would be my first dedicated astro camera, so I would also need things as simple as possible.  I am already in way over my head with the equipment I am using at the moment!

I think ZWO have a good ecosystem (and good marketing) to be able to command a higher price for a very similar product using the same sensor, but  ultimately I think that I will go down the ZWO route too and pay the premium for perceived ease of use!

Just with regard to controlling the QHY camera ASIAIR style, there is astroberry and stellarmate which support a wide variety of manufacturers.  I initially ran a QHY polemaster on stellarmate, so the drivers for the QHY 294m may be supported - or could be in future. 

Edited by malftobe
spelling
  • Like 1

I recently bought a Mele Q2 fanless mini PC, it's tiny, relatively powerful and runs off 12v.  It gives me flexibility to use whatever make of gear I want and runs N.I.N.A / Voyager seamlessly.

I moved to a QHY camera a year ago and their dedicated FW just works and I have fewer cables to worry about.  The camera bolts on to the FW rather than using a dovetail type adapter so there's no tilt.

A new mono camera and all the associated gubbins is a big investment, if it were me I'd rather have the better build quality, less chance of tilt from an adapter, the flexibility of not being tied to one brand of cameras and fewer cables to go wrong than a slight advantage of an easier learning curve initially.

I've bought a fair bit off Bernard at Modern Astronomy over the years, he's an extremely knowledgeable chap and one of the good guys, I'd rate him up there with FLO.

Edited by Starflyer

One thing I'll say regarding Astrograph is that Rupert's support is second to none, on one occasion he spent a good half hour on Anydesk and the phone trying to sort out a bork in my Talon roof automation, and when he couldn't sort it then, he then spent another couple of hours on Anydesk and in email to the developer, ON A SATURDAY to get it sorted.

The amount of kit I've bought from him is frightening, something north of £20k at the last count :eek:.

If it hasn't already been mentioned due to the sensor position in each camera, it is possible to use smaller filters in the ZWO.

The QHY's sits deeper in the camera, hence potentially requiring larger filters.

• Thanks 1