Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Optolong L-Enhance EOS Clip Filter Fitting issue

martinclayden

Not sure if this is the right group for this ?

I just received one of these filters (Jan 21) from FLO and I am having great difficulty in fitting to either a Canon 60Da or 77D

When inserted, the filter sits on these ledges (I think - they are under the filter) - and CANNOT be clicked into place. I've also tried an angled insertion technique I read about, to no avail.

With a lens fitted the filter moves around (not a massive issue for me as I use the camera for astrophotography - and the camera is always pointed up), but still, at the price, I'd expect a secure fit

Has anybody got any adviceClipboard-1.jpg.03b79316bc342106a681e2fa0d1a5672.jpg

Thanks

Martin

Edited by martinclayden

• martinclayden changed the title to Optolong L-Enhance EOS Clip Filter Fitting issue
2 hours ago, martinclayden said:

Not sure if this is the right group for this ?

I just received one of these filters (Jan 21) from FLO and I am having great difficulty in fitting to either a Canon 60Da or 77D

When inserted, the filter sits on these ledges (I think - they are under the filter) - and CANNOT be clicked into place. I've also tried an angled insertion technique I read about, to no avail.

With a lens fitted the filter moves around (not a massive issue for me as I use the camera for astrophotography - and the camera is always pointed up), but still, at the price, I'd expect a secure fit

Has anybody got any adviceClipboard-1.jpg.03b79316bc342106a681e2fa0d1a5672.jpg

Thanks

Martin

I have an Optolong UHC clip in filter and you are correct that it sits on those ledges. My filter fits in firmly and doesn't move at all - it requires some effort to remove it. It doesn't so much 'clip' as is just a tight fit . This is in a Canon 7d mk2 so the exact same ef-s mounting as your camera.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shimrod said:

I have an Optolong UHC clip in filter and you are correct that it sits on those ledges. My filter fits in firmly and doesn't move at all - it requires some effort to remove it. It doesn't so much 'clip' as is just a tight fit . This is in a Canon 7d mk2 so the exact same ef-s mounting as your camera.

Interesting, my filter sits loosely on those ledges, it's not firm at all. Videos on the web suggest a push click fit.

With a lens fitted the filter is free to float forward, but probably only by 1 or 2 mm

• Like 1

6 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I cannot see too well as the picture is quite small but from memory  (I do not have a DSLR anymore) it does not actually clip in but lays inside like you have it then when you attach a lens, or attach it to an adapter to fit to your scope that holds it in place more securely.

Steve

Videos on the web suggest a push click fit, with an ef-s lens the filter is free to move a couple of mm

Optolong's web site push firmly. I think their manufacture tolerances or dimensions have changed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astro Noodles said:

It should have two little 'arms' on the bottom of the filter which can be carefully bent either in or out to ensure a secure fit.

Not on my filter - it has a little notch cut out so the filter itself has a little flex in it. I think the filter is made slightly too large which is why it then provides a snug fit in the camera. The picture below probably explains it better...

eos filter.jpg

35 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

Not on my filter - it has a little notch cut out so the filter itself has a little flex in it. I think the filter is made slightly too large which is why it then provides a snug fit in the camera. The picture below probably explains it better...

eos filter.jpg

Here's an image of my filter, two notches, two springs and NO flex and a loose fit!!

869351205_Screenshot_20220123-1809182.png.17ec566db28bfc6bac6d290672876c2a.png

2 hours ago, Astro Noodles said:

It should have two little 'arms' on the bottom of the filter which can be carefully bent either in or out to ensure a secure fit.

It has the two arms, which I thought were springs, I'm reluctant to attempt to bend these1750805740_Screenshot_20220123-1809182.png.42b91299c8e5c4de274fdcfa4d49c5b6.png

18 hours ago, martinclayden said:

It has the two arms, which I thought were springs, I'm reluctant to attempt to bend these1750805740_Screenshot_20220123-1809182.png.42b91299c8e5c4de274fdcfa4d49c5b6.png

You will be fine giving the arms a little tweak, place a small flat head screw driver in the gap and just twist alittle. It only takes a small adjustment. I did it on mine and it worked a treat.

Edited by Rustang

2 hours ago, Rustang said:

You will be fine giving the arms a little tweak, place a small flat head screw driver in the gap and just twist alittle. It only takes a small adjustment. I did it on mine and it worked a treat.

I did just as you suggest - nervously :) - but it worked.

Many thanks for the tip!

incidentally - while reading about this issue I came across the controversy from 2016 about these filters being a copy of Astronomik's mechanical design, but it's suggested made to lower quality standards - explains the poor fit

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...