Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FC76DCU vs some sort of 80 ED

Hi....

i need a really grab and go refractor in the class of 80/90 mm. 

This must guarantee me excellent views of both the large fields and the planets. I have an ED 60/360 dedicated to SOLAR IMAGING and observing in H-alpha, which does its job well. 

What i need will be a really grab&go telescope instead of the TSA120 when I don't want to take it out, or for the travels. It must range from large fields to planetary observation.
I'm thinking of some 80ED or the FC76DCU or some C5 (which also allows me to imaging) and stuff of this type.
I'm trying to read the many posts about the FC76DCU, but I'd like a summary of your advice here if possible.
is it practically really grab & go? I don't care so much the fact that you can divide it and transpose it (indeed this "screw and unscrew" honestly I see it as a weak and dangerous point), as its size and manageability.

Can you summarize its behavior compared to an excellent 80ED?

thank you

• Like 1

I use my FC 76DCU as g@g on a ScopeTech Zero + Berlebach Report. Highly recommended. Can get Q extender too (planets)

But I also very much like the FOA 60Q and tend to use that more. But smaller than your specification

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 2

FC 76DCU  can uses the Maxbright II  bino? go in focus?

i have ready for it, a FTF2025

also to have a term of comparison, do you have an image of a 76 flanked by a DL? for my needs, for example, the DL is not good, it is already bulky

2 hours ago, Fedele said:

can i use 2" accessories?  for example a Baader T2 32 prism with a 2" nose?

I have used this exact setup on my FC-76DCU… Baader T2, 2” nose, T2 Clicklock for eyepieces and Clicklock on the Takahashi itself 👍

Although I only use 1.25” eyepieces now and use the smaller Baader 1.25” eyepiece clamp now.

468F3389-28D3-4BBF-8D7E-F956BA1FCE04.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Fedele said:

is it practically really grab & go? I don't care so much the fact that you can divide it and transpose it (indeed this "screw and unscrew" honestly I see it as a weak and dangerous point), as its size and manageability.

It is the ultimate grab and go… lives permanently on the ScopeTech Zero and Berlebach Report… I can pick it up very easily and carry it outside about 10m very quickly… I’m observing within a minute and it cools down within 5/10ish too.

I have no immediate aspiration to travel with it, but as you say, it can be separated into two parts of required 👍

Its my most used scope, taken out for even the smallest sessions, even if I’m super busy… highly recommended 😀

14866D2B-E294-499B-822D-B38732A18152.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fedele said:

FC 76DCU  can uses the Maxbright II  bino? go in focus?

i have ready for it, a FTF2025

also to have a term of comparison, do you have an image of a 76 flanked by a DL? for my needs, for example, the DL is not good, it is already bulky

I’ve never tried a binoviewer on it… the focuser has quite a short travel, but a FeatherTouch might work 🤔

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fedele said:

Thank you. I see you have a mak 127 and a C5 and FS60. How are the differences in the views of the planets compared to each of these three. Thank you

Mak127 gives the most detailed view, but takes a while to cool… C5 I found disappointing on planets, and the FS-60 is superb, not quite as detailed a view as the Mak127, but more contrast and it’s ready to go in minutes of course 👍

There’s an interesting comparisons between C5 and FS-60Q here… http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/CelestronC5XLT.htm

I rarely use the C5 or Mak127 these days, but can’t bear to sell them, as they were my second and third scopes 😀

Given the scopes you have already (assuming you keep the FC-100DL), the little FS60 would complement them nicely and is such a delightful little scope (also a wonderful finder on a dual mount).

However, you really do need to try and FOA-60Q sometime too… @JeremyS is right, it’s perfection 👍

• Like 2

No, it may seem strange to you but I don't like long 4 "and I find the DL uncomfortable. Therefore I want to sell the DL 
I have the TSA120, a small TS60 / 360 to make H alpha full disk with the chromosphere. I therefore have to fill the space between with a refractor / small mak grab and go of quality. I have been tempted to replace the TS 60/360 with an FS60CB but I don't know if it's worth it.

Edited by Fedele
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Fedele said:

No, it may seem strange to you but I don't like long 4 "and I find the DL uncomfortable. Therefore I want to sell the DL 

Not strange at all, its quite a long scope and totally understand 👍

37 minutes ago, Fedele said:

I have been tempted to replace the TS 60/360 with an FS60CB but I don't know if it's worth it.

In my opinion, the FS-60CB is an excellent scope, but I’ve never tried a TS60 🤔

• Like 2

i want to understand if possible:

1) the differences in size of the Fc76DCu and FS60. If someone have, attach plaese a image of the two side by side. 

2) the differences in visual on moon and planets between the 60 and the 76. 

i m evaluate also the Vixen SD81

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fedele said:

i want to understand if possible:

1) the differences in size of the Fc76DCu and FS60. If someone have, attach plaese a image of the two side by side. 

Hope this helps with the size reference… I’ve included my Mewlon 180 (which you also have), so should help understand the relative sizes better 👍

Mewlon 180

FC-76DCU

FS-60CB (without extender)

EE50C23A-192F-4D77-BEF1-0DDFF30F8EFC.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 3

Forgot to mention in the photo above… the FC-76DCU has a camera rotator and field flattener (x1.04) attached. You don’t require these, I’m just experimenting with them visually right now 🤔

I normally just have the Baader Clicklock on the scope (like the FS-60CB).

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fedele said:

The FC 76DCU is significantly better than the FS 60Q on Mars and Jupiter.

Ive not done a side by side comparison with the FOA 60Q. This guy has quite a few planetary obs with the FOA 60 with or without Q:

https://www.fzu.cz/~kupco/astro/reports/pdf/20180908_FOA60.pdf

https://www.fzu.cz/~kupco/astro/www_denik/targets/Jupiter.html

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fedele said:

There is a noticeable difference in resolution between the FS-60CB and FC-76DCU on the moon. Contrast is about the same.

As you can see from my photo, there is quite a difference in size, however unless you want to travel with them (and both are very portable) and given that you are selling your FC-100DL, I think the FC-76DCU would be my choice for grab and go… in fact it already is 😃

It’s a great all round versatile scope and fewer limitations that the FS-60CB.

• Like 1

I have the 76DCU for visual and I am enjoying it immensely. I’ve only had one chance to observe Jupiter, which wasn’t best placed but it has been outstanding on the moon, doubles, clusters and general perusing. It’s so small and light, I can’t quite get my head round how small the FS-60CB must be!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1