SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New sunspot without a number + Ha (update)

Mark at Beaufort

I checked out Gong this morning and things looked very active. In addition using Spaceweather it showed the major spots in white light.

I first set up the PST + DS and there is so much activity taking place. A lot of Plage around the sunspots plus some filaments around the surface. In addition a number of Proms all around the edge. Really great view in Ha.

I then switched to White Light using the SvBony 90mm frac and checked out the spots AR2924, 2925, 2926 and 2927. However, there was another growing sunspot between AR2925 and AR2927 which is not numbered (as yet). So this new sunspot has developed since the image was taken in Spaceweather. These sunspots really show how the activity is increasing so well worth a look.

• Like 3

Thanks for the heads up - this prompted me to take a break between calls and nip outside with a Prinz 330 60mm f11.8 in WL mode. 

Lovely detailed view (at 47x with a TV 15mm Plossl + Baader Solar Continuum filter) & the most active I've seen the sun yet (not been doing this long). 5 active groups strung out in a zigzag right across the Southern hemisphere and a diamond shaped group in the NW quadrant.   A chain of smaller spots connecting the first two southern groups and lots of texture and plage (new word for me today, thank you @Mark at Beaufort) around the spots. 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 1

Thanks Mark, made me take a break and dip outside with the solar scope.
Lots going on as you say.
I think I saw a flare at the 9 o'clock a few minutes ago, corresponds to coronal hole info on space weather.
More Aurora, here we come 😁

• Like 1

Just been outside again with the SvBony frac. There is certainly more detail in the new sunspot. - in 2 parts. The quality of the sky in much better than a few hours ago. I have just noticed that there is another sunspot (not numbered) going North from AR2927 - its small but a new sunspot.

• Like 1

• Mark at Beaufort changed the title to New sunspot without a number + Ha (update)

Just observed again in White Light. The sunspot without a number is now classified as AR2928. In addition going North from AR2927 is a small group (three?) which at the moment has not been given a number.

The quality of the viewing is very good and really satisfied with this SvBony f5.5 Achro Frac.

It looks great doesn’t it @Mark at Beaufort? Just had another look in the Tak and it is even better than earlier. Granulation really striking even though the seeing is a little shimmery.

I can see a number of other spots which I’ve highlighted on the SolarMonitor image. Through the scope these consist of a number of smaller spots, the main (topmost) one probably has six or more. There is also a single spot which has developed in the faculae to the left of 12927, so hopefully that will grow into an AR too.

3D031FB1-D8CA-48AA-88B1-F1DACCA13F97.jpeg

9ED8E0F8-14D0-4F66-A353-4345F8018285.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

@StuI am really enjoying the solar sessions although I wish I had your 4" Tak to see more detail. I still remember the solar session we had in November and the fantastic views of the solar surface.

Go on, treat yourself! You know it makes sense! 👍😀

Will post elsewhere too, but I managed to catch all the current names ARs with my phone this morning. Seeing not great today so the views weren’t as crisp as yesterday, although it may improve.

18E54BED-9A99-4863-A979-6FE30A49D9CF.jpeg

F498BB04-B99E-44B7-8CF9-D50B8889D160.jpeg

DA56BCA2-DAB8-49B4-B92F-550081626E94.jpeg

• Like 2