Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Didn’t know exactly where to post this one, so mods please move if need be. I found this lense for €5 in a local charity shop and I have been looking for an old school prime lense that I maybe able to put on the end of my Nikon D3100.

I have a question about the M42 to bayonet adapter I am going to need. I understand from the web that M42 is actually M42x1. There appears to be M42x0.75 which I understand is called T connector?

Anyone out there know which connector I need? I am presuming M42x1 but I note lots of connectors called M42 but they are 0.75, very confusing.

Thank you in advance for any replies and product links.

Marv1FC16DAD-7F43-4E53-9368-A277A5B73C0E.thumb.jpeg.93290009b39f4cf74b5411ca1e1e9116.jpegAA7A4C18-7FF6-4A4D-81B7-14A3B7D0F0E0.thumb.jpeg.acd13936cab8c095c1b989da152ab694.jpeg

M42 and T mounts are two different things. The T mount was designed to use a 55mm flange distance and the M42 was designed for a 45.5mm flange distance ( Roughly ) The Nikon requires 46.5mm so the M42 won't work at infinity without an extra correcting lens. It will however fit a Canon EOS at 44mm.

Dave.

Edited by davew
  • Like 1

Pentax screw is m42 x 1, as you say. You'll need a Pentax m42 to Nikon adapter. The m42 x 0.75 is for (Tamron) Adaptall 2 and compatible lenses. Do check that the camera can "shoot without lens", if not it won't work.

I've vague recollections of the name Pentor from back in the day, I think they were a budget brand but you never know, it may be fine.

EDIT:  I see it may not focus to infinity anyway, as per  post above @davew

Edited by wulfrun
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

Pentax screw is m42 x 1, as you say. You'll need a Pentax m42 to Nikon adapter. The m42 x 0.75 is for (Tamron) Adaptall 2 and compatible lenses. Do check that the camera can "shoot without lens", if not it won't work.

I've vague recollections of the name Pentor from back in the day, I think they were a budget brand but you never know, it may be fine.

Thanks for the info. There is a bit on the web about them. Seems they were sold under different brand names and there origins appear to be from the old east Germany, but as mentioned by others they are clearly marked ‘made in Japan’.

I have T connector already for my Nikon for housing my Badder MPCC and this will start to screw onto the lense then binds up, so I am presuming the lense is M42x1. I will look at the connector you suggest.

Marv

13 minutes ago, davew said:

M42 and T mounts are two different things. The T mount was designed to use a 55mm flange distance and the M42 was designed for a 45.5mm flange distance ( Roughly ) The Nikon requires 46.5mm so the M42 won't work at infinity without an extra correcting lens. It will however fit a Canon EOS at 44mm.

Dave.

Buy a cheap lense, then buy a Canon body to attach it too🤣 Bargain! I should have just bought a Canon in the first place but I already owned the Nikon before Astro gate crashed my life.

Adapters with correcting glass will work but I doubt that a very cheap adapter will use decent glass. You can always try it though. Other than money, what have you got to loose ? :) 

I have heard ( From one person ! ) that Urth adapters aren't bad.

Dave.

1 minute ago, davew said:

Adapters with correcting glass will work but I doubt that a very cheap adapter will use decent glass. You can always try it though. Other than money, what have you got to loose ? :) 

I have heard ( From one person ! ) that Urth adapters aren't bad.

Dave.

I read very bad reviews about the glass lense adapters. If I had to shell out for a good one I would rather just buy a decent secondhand Canon body.

I do keep having these moments when I say “why do I have a Nikon?” I love Nikon gear but it starts to get restricted when applied to Astro I am sorry to say.

Marv

The lens shown has the pin for the iris so it is probably M42x1 "Pentax" thread so lens adapters should be no problem to find.  I have one for my Canon 100D and i have no problem reaching focus with my Pentax and Sears M42x1 lenses.  I have heard of the Pentor brand but I have never had one in my hands for testing.  For only 5 it is worth a try and some of those "off brand" lenses can be better than expected.

Edited by CCD-Freak