Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ngc 1333

alacant

Hi everyone

This is one of those dark regions at the Perseo-Taurus border where you wonder how you ever found anything before goto mounts. It's a mush of dark stuff with few stars having the courage to punctuate the gloom.

Not nearly enough time, but do post your dslr efforts if you've had a go. I think the only way with this one is to start snapping when it gets to a reasonable altitude north east and come back in the morning.

700d on nt150s @ ISO800

2093530022_1-1333(1)_01.thumb.jpg.2a78575cd70b6a65e4904cc395092144.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Hi everyone

This is one of those dark regions at the Perseo-Taurus border where you wonder how you ever got anything without goto and databases. It's a mush of dark stuff with just a few stars able to punctuate the gloom.

Not nearly enough time, but do post your dslr efforts if you've had a go. I think the only way with this one is to start snapping when it gets to a reasonable altitude north east and come back in the morning.

700d on nt150s @ ISO800

1807086381_1-1333(1)_01.thumb.jpg.3f309be52ca5e4cd7ff08abf8c8ad914.jpg

A good result for such little available light, i will be venturing in to my first imaging session soon (after some practice sessions) and was thinking about the regions that are bare. 

I know a dslr is a long way off from the Hubble but i do like the thought of capturing something that is hard to see. 

My thought process is a series of many nights mixing many short 2 sec and long 30 sec exposures and sifting through frame by frame removing the most usless images before stacking them in the hope of getting a good shot, i am new so i figure the best way to learn is to start with a difficult project and learn by my mistakes. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Budding Star Gazer said:

a difficult project

Hi

If you want difficult, 1333 is ideal, although I think you're gonna need longer than 30s frames. But hey, try it. Overnight, you could get over 900 frames.

Don't forget about disk space and processing power. Each debayered frame is well over 100Mb and you'll need a decent gaming machine to stack them.

Great project idea though. Do keep us posted.

Cheers and good luck.

1 hour ago, Budding Star Gazer said:

A good result for such little available light, i will be venturing in to my first imaging session soon (after some practice sessions) and was thinking about the regions that are bare. 

I know a dslr is a long way off from the Hubble but i do like the thought of capturing something that is hard to see. 

My thought process is a series of many nights mixing many short 2 sec and long 30 sec exposures and sifting through frame by frame removing the most usless images before stacking them in the hope of getting a good shot, i am new so i figure the best way to learn is to start with a difficult project and learn by my mistakes. 

For me at least astrophotography can be very taxing at the best of times so personally I would pick an easy target as I can almost guarantee you'll still find plenty to trip you up 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

For me at least astrophotography can be very taxing at the best of times so personally I would pick an easy target as I can almost guarantee you'll still find plenty to trip you up 🙂

Yes i will be doing some practical learning sessions before diving in but i have always found the best way to learn is just to get stuck in.. I expect failure to begin with so will not be deterred in any way. 

2 minutes ago, Budding Star Gazer said:

Yes i will be doing some practical learning sessions before diving in but i have always found the best way to learn is just to get stuck in.. I expect failure to begin with so will not be deterred in any way. 

I'll be very surprised if you end up being disappointed here 🙂 🙂

Oh and agreed 100% get stuck in but pick an easy target so if you don't get the results you expect you'll know it's something else rather than the difficult target itself if that makes sense.....

Edited by scotty38

17 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

If you want difficult, 1333 is ideal, although I think you're gonna need longer than 30s frames. But hey, try it. Overnight, you could get over 900 frames.

Don't forget about disk space and processing power. Each debayered frame is well over 100Mb and you'll need a decent gaming machine to stack them.

Great project idea though. Do keep us posted.

Cheers and good luck.

I get the 2 minute plus frames for the deep sky stuff which will happen, my general idea is short through to long exposure so i hope to capture as much detail through the entire field of view or as much detail as possible. 

My hope is by putting in the time i will not have to sacrifice close to mid range detail for the deep sky detail in the back ground which although the primary focus of the idea will hopefully mean a sharper overall image. 

I would love to have a photo at the end that not many people have. 

I have been watching quite a lot of tutorials over a few years now and i figure if it can work for mr peach and the level of detail he gets on planetary objects it should work for deep field shots too. 

Of couse my budget is a fraction that used by mr peach for his marvellous shots so i have no images of grandure, i just figure if i am going to put a lot of time in i might as well go for broke. 

I have a ASUS tuf i7 10gb rtx card with 16gb ram for the processing, running W11. 

Fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Budding Star Gazer said:

I like your keen nature to deal with challenges 🙂 There is a lot to learn so I didnt take that route when I started a year ago. I went for the bright DSOs (see my journey in the link attached to my signature). With small exposures you can get a lot of detail from these brighter objects and then comes the challenge of learning to process them. I have just recently purchased a guide scope and hoping to get longer exposures when clouds clear....a long wait in this country it looks like.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

I like your keen nature to deal with challenges 🙂 There is a lot to learn so I didnt take that route when I started a year ago. I went for the bright DSOs (see my journey in the link attached to my signature). With small exposures you can get a lot of detail from these brighter objects and then comes the challenge of learning to process them. I have just recently purchased a guide scope and hoping to get longer exposures when clouds clear....a long wait in this country it looks like.

Yes the cloud cover i think will be my biggest obstacle to overcome, it's been like middle earth orc country for the last week here and I've been itching to get out. 

I think you probably need dark skies to get a really good shot of this area, so well spotted, nice target for me to try - I'll add it to my rather long list!

Clear skies! - a few more of which would help...