Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

is it me or has astro gear shot up in price again :-(

oscar_camilleri

3 hours ago, John said:

This is an article about the Telescope Museum in Tawa, Japan. Some wonderful telescopes in there but very few Takahashis, as far as I can see:

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/articles/a-visit-to-the-museum-of-astronomical-telescope-r3040

The Taks are all being used: a museum is no place for them  as they need to live and breathe under the night sky 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

The Taks are all being used: a museum is no place for them  as they need to live and breathe under the night sky 😊

I do agree that seeing all those fine scopes not being used was slightly sad, the row of Pentax apochromats just sat on the floor, especially :sad2:

Edited by John
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Makes me realise it is getting harder for beginners getting into the hobby to buy decent equipment. 😢

I hope it does not go back to what it was in the 1970's / 1980's. Equipment choice was quite limited back then (in the UK at least) and the prices seemed really high for someone (me !) trying to get some modestly decent equipment on a tight budget :rolleyes2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I do agree that seeing all those fine scopes not being used was slightly sad, the row of Pentax apochromats just sat on the floor, especially :sad2:

I've seen that museum article on CN before, amazing, but to be fair to the curator the article was produced at a time when the museum was still being set up, or that's how it appeared me in the pictures. Look at all those empty observing pads on the roof. I think it's clear that they intend to have a lot of their scopes up and running eventually and I also think it will be an excellent educational facility which will inspire many young wouldbe astronomers of the future.

• Like 1