Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dehumidifier for Pulsar 2.7m Observatory

DeepSkyMan

Hi there I’m looking for recommendations for a dehumidifier to install in my Pulsar Observatory.  Topic has probably been done to death already over the years however a lot of the posts are several years old, just wondering what the best dehumidifier  currently on the market is for this use-case.

Kind Regards

Paul.

This is one I have, does a great job in a 2.2m Pulsar dome, takes the humidity down from 99% to <70% in about 15 mins at the end of a session, ambient temp <5 deg C at the start.

https://www.dehumidifiersuk.com/eco-air-dd122fw-simple-7-litre-low-temperature-desiccant-dehumidifier.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAs92MBhAXEiwAXTi25yvWbxm3AN3DekvC7XirN_x-IKLsEQoXjlL0JVz7Yypp11Tf8nIZphoCykMQAvD_BwE

I have the newer version and can confirm what tomato has said.

What I find is that the metal of the mount and pier has a lot of thermal inertia so will get wet even though the rest of the dome inside will be dry so I check it first thing in the morning to see if the dryer needs switching on.  Under these conditions I just set the timer for two hours and it does the job.

Mine has the ionizer function which I never use.

Just a thought but when looking for the same one as tomato's I found one at a really good price on the net but when I searched on the suppliers address it did not exist. Somewhere in Leicester as I recall

Edited by Tomatobro
Extar info

I use the same dehumidifier in my 3m Scopedome - probably about the same internal volume as the 2.7 Pulsar... I have run an external drain line from the dehumidifier to a 10 litre bottle outside the dome and leave it running 24/7.

On a clear night, I will switch over to a ventilation fan that pushes fresh air through the dome a couple of hours before sunset, rather than have the heat output from the dehumidifier passing through the dome.. Seems to work for me.

Gordon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the average electricity consumption of these units?
How "tight" does the dome have to be to avoid dehumidifying the entire Earth's atmosphere? :wink2:

An extractor fan in the bathroom cured my parent's damp problem after using a fridge-sized dehumidifier for a while.
Would an extractor fan[s] successfully solve the humidity problem in a closed dome by providing circulation from all the leakage points?
[Around the periphery of the shutters[s] and all around skirt.]

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 01/04/2023 at 21:13, McComiskey said:

Bukko, how did you install the fan in the scope dome?

Sorry, just picked this up...

The Scopedomes are mounted on top of a couple of rounds of bricks. I use the big, largely hollow terracotta types. All I did was simply drill a hole through one of the bricks for the ducting. (I pull air through that way and allow it to flow around the base and through the shutter.)

I included an IP rated 2-way switch on the exterior to allow me to change device without having to open the dome.

I have the dehumidifier set slightly as "wet" as I can and even though I get a LOT of moisture sometimes, I have not needed to use the dew heater tape around the scope. But I do spend as little time as possible inside the dome, as humans tend to kick out a lot of moisture when breathing.

I guess you should be able to drill the wall of the Pulsar, especially if you have some of those bay panels...

Hope it helps.

Gordon.