What did you see tonight?

Ags

There is/was a good aurora prospect tonight. Currently in Cumbria where the sky is cloud free but not very transparent. 

The allsky camera is now picking up a diffuse red glow but not exciting yet. I've brought my DSLR and tripod, hoping to get some better aurora shots than the allsky lens can offer. Not going to set up with that. Bed instead! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Seeing was reasonably good here. Just been out with both 300p and FC100D. 

Saturn looking sharp around 185x in the 300p, with clear banding around the globe and a bright line across it where the rings pass in front. Tried to grab some images but multiple issues and being severely out of practice meant only one measly 3 min capture. 

Pleiades looking lovely in the Frac with 30mm UFF. Also had a Quick Look at Jupiter in the Frac and Svbony 3-8 which showed both equatorial belts, hoods and hints of temperate belts too.

• Like 6

A dodgy looking forecast turned out not too bad at Rosliston Astronomy Group last night.

I set up 14" Dob next to the SeeStar boys and we had some good shared views from pretty opposite ends of the astro equipment spectrum...

The SeeStars got some smashing EAA views of the Eagle and Pelican nebulae.

I did a quick tour of Summer showpieces- Double Double, the Ring, Saturn (got the most appreciation), M13 (not far behind), the Dumbbell and Andromeda.

Nice to do this with company.

• Like 8

Transparency was really great yesterday and I could enjoy a long session under the stars. Many highlights, but the top was finally being able to partially resolve M13 with averted vision - it was a cool and amazing observation. Here is a full report, and here I posted some quick sketches.

I also did some planetary observing but seeing wasn't at all great, with planets lacking surface details beyond the horizontal bands on Jupiter. Still, it was my first Mars observation ever, and my first for Jupiter and Saturn this year.

Edited by SwiMatt
  • Like 5

On 30/08/2024 at 15:01, Jim Franklin said:

Here is my drawing of Jupiter - in my defence

1. I was left unsupervised

2. It was dark

3. It was on my knee

4. I am shiite at drawing

5. It was only a HD pencil

I think it's a vivid and realistic rendering of what Jupiter looks and feels like at the EP TBH and i would be very happy with it! 👍

• Like 3