Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polar alignment options

2 hours ago, Pitch Black Skies said:

as the only thing I require for that is an EQMOD cable.

For the minimal 'semi-auto' PA addition to your current setup, you connect the laptop to your mount by EQMOD and laptop to camera by USB. You do a 3-point polar align with, and then you disconnect your laptop and run your intervalometer-based session and tracking-with-no-guiding.

I'm not sure if you were actually considering this minimal approach, but wanted to make it clear what was needed. The benefits are the small-ish learning curve and not having to work out how to get all-session computer control.. 

But there are massive advantages to jumping  completely to software-controlled guided imaging sessions... Plate-solving is a huge game-changer, (way more than guiding imo...) 

Once you've experienced it, computer-controlled imaging sessions is almost certainly where you will want to be. 

Personally, I ended up putting one of those smallish waterproof keter boxes next to my mount and putting a wifi-connected mid-size i5 office pc from ebay (£100) inside - cables run out from under the lid to the mount (USB3 hub and home-made 12v power distribution block reduces number of cables) , and mains power via long extension lead from the garage. I then remotely log in from a laptop in the house. (I have also tried a Raspberry-Pi-based Ekos/Kstars setup with some success - and done successful semi-auto PA.)

All of these components can be upgraded with 'proper' astro gear, but that's not my style (waaaay more astro things to buy than budget allows! ) 

Good luck! 

Ady

• Thanks 1

Another vote for the ASIair, just a cheap v1 will do you (approx £100).

I've used Polemaster (expensive for just polar aligning), Sharpcap (good but needing a laptop out in the field was just too bulky and hassle with cables and power), mounts own polar scope (found rubiks cubes easier to complete!).

The air is user friendly, no need to be technically minded at all. It'll centre on whatever you want to goto and when you add a guide cam down the line it'll run that for you too (as long as it's a zwo cam). 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Pitch Black Skies said:

Hi, as mentioned I'm just using the polar scope on the mount.

I'm not familiar with any astrophotography software, it is all new to me.

I don't intend to image away from my home location.

At the moment I'm just setting a series of exposures on an intervalometer. I go back inside and when it's complete I return to bring everything back inside.

It appears the most logical move for me would be to learn how to polar align through NINA as the only thing I require for that is an EQMOD cable.

Good starting point. With an eqmod cable (or Synscan wifi) you can connect to a computer and have a choice of PA software.  The same cable would be used by a PC or one of the Linux solutions so money well spent. As mentioned above by others you will also need to connect the camera, via a USB lead, to the same computer to see the PA images used in the process.

• Thanks 1

I think when recommending the asiair to beginners we should really point out early in the conversation that it only supports ZWO cameras if you switch to a dedicated astro camera (for dslrs it is fine). I have a ZWO camera myself so don't think this is the worst limitation in the world, but it is quite a unique 'feature' compared to the alternatives that needs to be highlighted. 

(only posting this as there's been two different recommendations without this rider) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StevieDvd said:

Good starting point. With an eqmod cable (or Synscan wifi) you can connect to a computer and have a choice of PA software.  The same cable would be used by a PC or one of the Linux solutions so money well spent. As mentioned above by others you will also need to connect the camera, via a USB lead, to the same computer to see the PA images used in the process.

I would opt for the WiFi adapter over the cable for the luxury of controlling the mount from indoors, however I am restricted by 1m camera usb cable.

My camera has Bluetooth and WiFi capability but I can't seem to get NINA to detect it other than connecting via the USB cable.

1 hour ago, adyj1 said:

I think when recommending the asiair to beginners we should really point out early in the conversation that it only supports ZWO cameras if you switch to a dedicated astro camera (for dslrs it is fine). I have a ZWO camera myself so don't think this is the worst limitation in the world, but it is quite a unique 'feature' compared to the alternatives that needs to be highlighted. 

(only posting this as there's been two different recommendations without this rider) 

I don't know enough about it but it seems like a great piece of equipment. Maybe it is something I will progress to.

48 minutes ago, Pitch Black Skies said:

I would opt for the WiFi adapter over the cable for the luxury of controlling the mount from indoors, however I am restricted by 1m camera usb cable.

My camera has Bluetooth and WiFi capability but I can't seem to get NINA to detect it other than connecting via the USB cable.

You'll be next to the mount with the laptop to be able adjust the alt/az screws anyway so a 1m usb should be OK, though 2m better.

Wifi module is about twice the price of the cable but is useful as you can then use an ipad/phone to run Synscan Pro app too.

• Like 1

"ASIAIR PRO is a smart WiFi device that allows you to control all ASI USB 3.0 cameras, ASI Mini series cameras, and Mainstream DSLR cameras. (It can not support ASI120MM/MC camera)"

Does that mean the ASI120 Mono guidecam is not supported?

I use the Asi120 mini guidecam with the Asi. 

This combination with the mini scope.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-mini-finder-guider-asi120mm-bundle.html

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 1

"ASIAIR PRO is a smart WiFi device that allows you to control all ASI USB 3.0 cameras, ASI Mini series cameras, and Mainstream DSLR cameras. (It can not support ASI120MM/MC camera)"

Does that mean the ASI120 Mono guidecam is not supported?

A bit of info.

When I first bought the ASIair I was using my Canon 450d and it was great for polar aligning.

However, I’d been used to focusing it through the camera viewfinder with a Bahtinov mask. I tried focusing it using my iPad screen and the Asiair, but it was quite time consuming because the canon images don’t download as quickly as a dedicated Astro camera, not even the mini, and I had to wait for the camera to settle too long after touching it to manually focus. In the end I preferred to focus it the old way looking through the camera screen. 

The Asiair was great for finding targets because it could  platesolve your whereabouts very quickly. 

Once I’d seen what it can do it incentivised me to buying a dedicated Astro camera and electronic focuser so it was a slippery slope to spending more money. :) 

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 1

The 3 main Linux (raspberry Pi based) solutions for an astro setup are:

• Astroberry - free and based on Kstars/Ekos and Indi-Lib (Linux Ascom equivalent). Control via a direct or vnc connection.
  • Stellarmate - Hardware or OS purchase, comes with support and a pre-configured hardware setup. Also, based on Kstars/Ekos and Indi-Lib (Linux Ascom equivalent). Provides an IOS/Android app for ease of setup/control.
  • AsiAir    - Hardware with OS and support. Has aluminium case with extra power ports, on/off switch and an IOS/Android app for ease of setup/control. Though based on Kstars/Ekos and Indi-Lib (Linux Ascom equivalent) - it is locked down to ZWO equipment with exception of some mainstream DSLRs.

All do Polar Alignment, Platesolving, autofocus, guiding and image capture.

The OS they run on is basically the same Rpi OS but customised by the addition of selected programs - these are usually referred to as Distributions. The 'OS' programs are kept updated by the distribution maintainer so you get the equivalent of 'Windows updates'.

Astroberry/Stellarmate you can add new/updated indi drivers for equipment (including ZWO)

AsiaAir drivers are locked down, as is the interface. I've not read of anyone getting around this yet! However, I have run both Astroberry & Stellarmate OS on the Asiair Pro hardware. There is an indi lib driver to utilise the power ports and the interfaces allow extra hardware sections to be added - based on your hardware setup.

Each has it's good and bad points, some of which are based on the usage of the Raspberry Pi. Such as the poor wifi, which gets even worse if a metal case is used.

I'd suggest having a look at the Astroberry & Stellarmate solutions if you have existing non-ZWO hardware and don't want to go with a Windows setup. See if they fit your needs and experience first, if not then consider the AsiAir.

The ZWO AsiAir is aimed at a pre-packaged solution, for a more 'working out of the box' setup. And has a better eye-candy score in it's brand following red colour scheme.

They can all run a simple setup to a complex one. But all of them tend to need powered USB hubs and more power connections as the hardware connected increases.

• Like 1