Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet C/2007 - N3 - Lulin

Hi All,

Stephen Green kindly lent me his SXVF-M25 to have a crack at our new friend Lulin, so these images are 'joint' ownershpi between Stephen and I.

Friday as a washout - just as I had got everything setup the clouds rolled in and ruined it. Last night was alot better. It took me a long while to persuade MaximDL to guide on the comet nucleus, but once done I was able to grab 14 x 5 minute subs using the GSO 8" F/4 Newtonian.

There are 2 versions of this - the first I feel has taken a few liberties with processing. After I had grabbed the comet-guided subs, I re-targeted on a guidestar, and grabbed 4 x 5 minute subs of the starfield. The comet data was then Sigma-combined to try and remove the stars as much as possible, and then I used the dust and scratches tool to remove the star trails further. A bit of blurring later, and then I was able to combine a feathered image of the comet with the background. Here it is:

2009-02-28-Lulin-Composite-Small.jpg

This image is just a simple sum of the 14 exposures:

2009-02-28-Lulin-14x300-Trails-Small.jpg

Comments welcome!

Thanks,

Richie & Stephen

Hmm - might see if I can isolate the comet from the summed data then....

Thanks for the comments - I can see what you mean :lol:

Wish I hadn't closed PS now - I'll have to start again (but maybe thats a good thing!)

Cheers,

Richie

Archived