Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AstroLandscapes #33 - Porthgwarra Tunnel Milky Way

Deep in West Penwith lies the secluded hamlet of Porthgwarra, nestled above a tiny cove and beach accessed through a tidal tunnel that was dug by fishermen to store live shellfish and bring harvested seaweed up to the shore for use as fertiliser.

Last night the tunnel made a wonderful frame for the Milky Way before the moon came up.  

📷 Canon 6D with Samyang 14mm f/2.8

🔧 Sky: 20x 25s exposures at ISO3200 with 8x darks  Foreground: Blend of 1x 180s exposure at ISO800 (mid-ground) and 1x low-level lit 60s exposure (tunnel)

🎞 Stacked in Sequator and edited in LR and PS

Thoughts and constructive comments welcome! ☺

1404471989_20211025PorthgwarraCavesMilkyWay.thumb.jpg.344a90e51df2072e9df618454f2c0554.jpg

• Like 17

That's lovely Paul.  The pasties from the shop at the top of that are delicious (as a dive club, whenever we do expedition diving off Cornwall, we try and organise at least one day where we pop in on the RIB into the cove to go and get pasties for lunch.  Makes for amusement of holidaymakers to see a bunch of divers arrive just for pasties, and then head off again :) ).

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, vineyard said:

That's lovely Paul.  The pasties from the shop at the top of that are delicious (as a dive club, whenever we do expedition diving off Cornwall, we try and organise at least one day where we pop in on the RIB into the cove to go and get pasties for lunch.  Makes for amusement of holidaymakers to see a bunch of divers arrive just for pasties, and then head off again :) ).

Thanks Vin. Must be an amazing part of the world to go diving. Could’ve done with a pasty last night, but alas it was firmly closed!! 

• Haha 1

Oh no re the pasties - I guess not peak season (we didn't eat them all honest).  Yes, Cornwall definitely as beautiful below the water as above (provided its not raining!).  If you're still in that part of the world, the Minack theatre in Porthcurno may give some v nice framing too.  V much enjoy your astro-landscapes!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Stunning Paul, who needs to go to Utah for a picture of the milky way under an arch when a far more unique perspective can be found on our fair shores.  If you spend enough time in Cornwall you'll think about moving down there permanently.

Thank you! Yes, agreed - although I wouldn’t mind a trip to Arches national park one day too! 😊

We’re always talking about moving down here, but I think that might be one for the future!! 

• Like 1

I wish I had taken that!  Just up my street.  The best of yours that I can remember Paul (though memory is wanting).  Nice composition, balance, execution.

Magic  :)  Definitely needs a click!

Suggestions, something I do.  Leave it a few days and come back to it, you may want to change something, maybe not.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, clarkpm4242 said:

I wish I had taken that!  Just up my street.  The best of yours that I can remember Paul (though memory is wanting).  Nice composition, balance, execution.

Magic  :)  Definitely needs a click!

Suggestions, something I do.  Leave it a few days and come back to it, you may want to change something, maybe not.

Thank you so much, Paul - that means a lot.  It was the most incredible evening, hearing the waves crashing and echoing round the tunnel while the Milky Way seemed to get brighter as my eyes adjusted.  The experience is the most memorable thing for me, but it’s nice to have an image off the back of it too.

Thanks for the tip.  Definitely something I need to get better at!  Someone suggested recently looking at the final image in different orientations, as a thumbnail and inverted, which gives some interesting perspectives on balance, tones etc.  I’ve found that quite helpful too.

• Like 1