Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problem with multiple instances of Terminal in new installation of Linux Mint 20.2

Gina

On my tower system I am currently running Mint 18 which is now at End Of Life and no longer supported so I want to upgrade to the latest version of mint.

I use multiple instances of Terminal to SSH into my three individual imaging systems.  These are running in Raspberry Pi boards.

I also want to be able to access my imaging system from a laptop  so have installed LM20.2 on my Asus laptop but as it stands, having opened one Terminal window, clicking on the icon just closes the window unlike Mint 18 in the tower which opens another Terminal window.

So my question is :- What do I need to do to enable multiple instances of the Terminal window?

Gina 

Have a read of this thread it worked for me as when i clicked on terminal icon on had the same problem as you  https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=322909

search for welcome and then click first steps then click traditional panel layout then close and when you click on terminal for me opens multiple instances

Edited by fozzybear
forgot to add link

This doesn't address the original question (I think there's a desktop setting for that, perhaps described in the link above), but what I do may be useful to others. On my desktop, I have a number of launchers for different terminal window configurations, highlighted in green in the first image below. Clicking one of those will open one or more xterms on a desktop, arranged to my preference. Typically, I will use a particular set of xterms depending upon available screen area, e.g., laptop screen vs. desk monitor. It takes a bit of fiddling sometimes to get the window coordinates just so in the scripts, but once done I can get to the same starting point quite easily. My usual four-xterm desktop that I use on my laptop screen is shown in the second image.

I'd be happy to provide a tar file with my scripts upon request. I'm still using Mint 18 Cinnamon, but the strategy works with about any desktop. There's nothing particularly clever about it, but I'm lazy and it makes life easier.

Desktop.png

Desktop_xterms.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2021 at 07:59, Gina said:

What do I need to do to enable multiple instances of the Terminal window?

If you are using mint cinnamon Right click on the terminal icon on the Taskbar and choose Preferences (the upper one), then click on configure  and under behavior click on the "middle click action" and choose launch new app instance.  

This way you'll be able to open a new terminal window when middle clicking the terminal icon. 

Edited by Atreta