Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

200p newt, eyepieces

ive been using a sw 200p f5 on a dob mount for about a year now. i have been  observing with bst starguider eyepieces. can anyone advise on what i could move onto regards an upgrade in eyepieces. i dont wear glasses for viewing. i was thinking about possably baader morpueus. but would really appreciate advise from you guys at sgl. thanks for your help, time and knowledge     paul.

BST Starguiders have a great rep less than £50  but punch well above there weight. When I had my 200p I had 6 of them from 5mm to 25mm I still own 3 the 25mm the 15mm and the 8mm, the 15mm is my goto ep really is a very good eyepiece. 

Edited by wookie1965

i find the bst great value and decent e/ps. i have never tried any filters nor get a chance to look through other scopes or eyepieces  because of the current situation. i also am in bortle 6 skies. so maybe these are factors also.

• Like 1

I think the Morpheus eyepieces are the next step up from the BST Starguiders and do offer larger fields of view. The improvements in image quality will be subtle though because, as has been said, the BST's are not shabby performers by any means.

If you are using the 25mm BST Starguider you are getting close to seeing the widest view that can be provided by a 1.25 inch eyepiece. A 24mm / 68 degree such as the Explore Scientific will show a little more sky but it's not a huge difference. The ES 24 / 68 will be better corrected in the outer parts of the field of view with your F/5 scope than the BST Starguider is though so the whole field will be more "usable" so to speak.

astronomy_tools_fov.jpg.fff051b5b90ebf6ebde9fd0fa276ed54.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soligor Rob said:

I would say the Baader Hyperion Zoom it covers all bases, just the one eyepiece, I'm really impressed with mine.

I don't think it is a real step up in optical quality from most of the BST Starguiders though and the apparent field of view at the 24mm end is narrower.

What sort of magnification do you want?

If I were using an unguided Dob, I'd have to be looking at the T6 Naglers. 80°, very sharp and, quite small. They start at 13mm though - apart from the T5 16mm, longer focal lengths are 2 (T4)"

21 hours ago, John said:

I don't think it is a real step up in optical quality from most of the BST Starguiders though and the apparent field of view at the 24mm end is narrower.

I can only speak from my own experience and I can say most certainly the Hyperion Zoom is a big improvement optically over my BST EP's, I do accept that the FOV at 24mm is 10' narrower but I have not found this a problem.

1 hour ago, Soligor Rob said:

I can only speak from my own experience and I can say most certainly the Hyperion Zoom is a big improvement optically over my BST EP's, I do accept that the FOV at 24mm is 10' narrower but I have not found this a problem.

No problem - we all see these things a little differently :smiley: