Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Potential newbie, check my logic please

Hi and welcome to SGL. I have had a quick scan through the thread and see you are considering buying used. A good choice.
However, I would avoid ebay like the plague. There is a lot of rubbish on sale and if you don't know what you are looking for, you can buy landfill.

If you buy from SGL classified, you can easily see the sellers posting history, content and the like.
Also, I know from experience that items sold on SGL tend to be honestly described. Just read about scratches and dents being mentioned!
Having said that. Usually kit sold by seasoned astronomy enthusiasts tends to be well looked after.
By that I mean the shiny metal may have tarnished with age. But lenses and mirrors haven't been cleaned using bleach. If you get my drift.
Scopes sold on ebay may well have been bought on a whim, stored incorrectly for a couple of years then cosmetically polished for sale.
Yes there are honest good scopes there. But only for the wary.

Enjoy the journey, David.

• Like 1

Hi @LondonNeil

Good advice given by fellow SGL'ers.

If you are going to be buying a new telescope, I personally would avoid places like ebay, amazon, aliexpess, etc. Who are better rewarded by buying from a reputable 'bricks and mortar' dealer such as First Light Optics, [sponsors of SGL], Rother Valley Optics. etc. If you don't mind buying second-hand, then the For Sale forum/section here or UKAB&S are the places to visit... avoid ebay and/or facebook market place, nextdoor, etc.  

If you can visit a local astronomy society or club, find out if they have an open-day or star party and attend them. It will give you some idea of size of 'scopes and equipment used, etc., when you see them rather relying on magazine ads and i'net. 

• Like 2