Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TS Optics

Paul G. Abel

Hi,

I think you must mean Telescope Services who are a supplier based in Germany. They generally supply good stuff but don't make it themselves. Their TS Planetary HR eyepieces are pretty good.

There is a UK based dealer who supplies their stuff, Modern Astronomy:

http://modernastronomy.com/

Any specific eyepiece you are considering ?

John

• 4 years later...

THe TSSP range I think are a good bigginer/starter value range with a good focal length field of few mostly 520 except the 40mm it's got 460 good enough for starters. Nice and crisp viewings also with prompt service from Germany.

I'm sure they are decent plossls but they cost around £37 delivered to the UK when you can get the Skywatcher SP plossl (which I think are pretty much the same) for £20.

I will not use them any longer after having many poor quality or broken things sent to me. The last straw was a 70mm ED scope made of carbon fiber, it was bent and gave the worse results I have ever seen from anything.

That is bad enough but when my friend who is the Main Dealer here contacted them they told us this was not the problem which was a insult to us both. Some there clearly know nothing about refractors. The only thing I have never had a problem with from them is Televue eyepieces, but for me things made in China you buy at a risk as I can't see they ever check anything.

Use a UK dealer, you know it makes sense.

Alan.

If the eyepiece is for planetary viewing then there is currently a great deal of interest in Orthoscopic EPs with the introduction of new eyepieces from Baader and soon to be released Hutech Orthoscopic. In fact John, mentioned above, is undertaking a review on behalf of First light Optics. Here is a link to the Hutech - http://www.firstligh...c-eyepiece.html and John's review is here - http://www.firstligh...ssl-review.html

I appreciate some astronomers find the field of view too narrow but the contrast is suppose to be better which would be great for your sketching of the planets.

Mark

I just noticed that this thread started by Paul is 4 years old. I thought about deleting my statement but decided that it might be useful for some members thinking of buying a Planetary EP.

I will not use them any longer after having many poor quality or broken things sent to me. The last straw was a 70mm ED scope made of carbon fiber, it was bent and gave the worse results I have ever seen from anything.

That is bad enough but when my friend who is the Main Dealer here contacted them they told us this was not the problem which was a insult to us both. Some there clearly know nothing about refractors. The only thing I have never had a problem with from them is Televue eyepieces, but for me things made in China you buy at a risk as I can't see they ever check anything.

Use a UK dealer, you know it makes sense.

Alan.

I am using UK now. Just did not know what was out there when first started ashamed to say, sorry to stir up bad memories for you.

Archived