NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Keep Trying - Jupiter Last Night

wornish

Best I could get.  Tried a new wavelet setting which seems to bring out more detail.

50 frames out of 1000 each 8.7ms.  using ASI290MC through ADC on HD925

Jupiter-5perc.jpg

Edited by wornish
changed image
  • Like 11

That's very much like what I was seeing at around 11.30pm with a 100ed at x187. Though my view was a lot smaller scale and with less detail. The seeing was all over the place last night over Sheffield. Saturn was quite steady earlier on, could just make out the CD.

5 hours ago, Franklin said:

That's very much like what I was seeing at around 11.30pm with a 100ed at x187. Though my view was a lot smaller scale and with less detail. The seeing was all over the place last night over Sheffield. Saturn was quite steady earlier on, could just make out the CD.

Me too around the same time. Went up to x266 because the seeing was very good.

The first image is a good image, especially if the seeing is poor. Its a nice example and you will see many similar to it. 50 frames is not many to stack though, also 1000 is not many to capture on a single run.  How long was the capture video in seconds?

Yes the second image has been pushed a bit too far.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

The first image is a good image, especially if the seeing is poor. Its a nice example and you will see many similar to it. 50 frames is not many to stack though, also 1000 is not many to capture on a single run.  How long was the capture video in seconds?

Yes the second image has been pushed a bit too far.

I did a few separate runs this one was 1000 frames at 8.7ms. so under 10secs.  I had tried longer runs of up to 3 mins with 30,000 frames but didn't get the exposure right.  This one was a quick test and ended up giving the best results.  The clouds moved in so I couldn't go longer.

I think I have found the sweet spot in terms of exposure and gain so next time will try long runs.

Edited by wornish
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MarkRadice said:

I try and get the histogram at around 70% or so, 10millisec exp and gain around 375. That means a 2 min video capture has ~12k frames of which I stack 1-2,000 frames. 

Depending on the size of the scope Mark. Normally for jupiter 3 exposures are likely 1/60th secs exposure. 1/125 secs exposure. And for a really large scope 1/250 secs exposure. But your right Histogram of around 70% and that gain. will often fall close to one of those exposures. Depending as i say on the size of the scope. Pretty sure i got 125/secs exposure out of a 5" inch refractor on jupiter. With my recent jupiter shots. If memory fails me. Certainly no slower than 1/60 secs. For my scopes i find the sweet spot around 1/125 secs exposure is optimal on jupiter and saturn with my 245mm Newtonian. Would be helpful if we knew the size of the scope on this ? 

Ok just looked again a C9.25 i think ? as such he should probably try around 1/125 secs exposure give or take or around 8 millisec Exposure. So close to your figure. Explaining it like this will hopefully help it all fall into place for wornish 

Me personally i would say shoot 3 mins at 125/secs exposure 8 milliseconds thats 22.500 frames at 125 frames per second. If seeing supports it stack 50% thats around 11000 frames. Or if hes into winjupos. and can learn video de rotation. 5min capture will bring 37.500 frames in 5 mins 50% stack under reasonable seeing would give him 18.750 frames. But the 3 min capture would improve hes quality no end. With healthy stacks that size

I once compared a 3 min vid de rotated. To a 3 min vid no de rotation. Thought the straight 3 min stack straight out of AS/3 actually looked better. Having said that i sometimes do de rotate 3 min captures. Though its hardly needed. And sometimes can look worse

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1