NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HELP to identify scope and eyepieces

I have been asked to identify a vintage refractor and some of the .965 eyepieces.

The scope is 90mm and the F/L would indicate about f/12?? There is a badge which shows the name 'Polaris' and the figures 103A and 184 - see photos. I know that Meade had scopes named 'Polaris' but I have the feeling this is not the same. The scope uses .965 eyepieces - any thoughts??

There is also a box of many I mean many .965 eyepieces. Some have the name 'H' which I assume is Huygens. Others have 'Ortho' which is obvious. However there are others which have a symbol with a 'V' - is this Vernonscopes plus 'V' and HM - see photos. Help would be appreciated

IMG_20210827_152227.jpg

IMG_20210827_152325.jpg

IMG_20210827_151607.jpg

IMG_20210827_151536.jpg

• Like 1

I think this scope, mount and some of the eyepieces are of Vixen origin Mark. The mount looks like a Polaris EQ which was an early Vixen model. The scope has that "Vixen" look to it as well. The H.M. 12.5 eyepiece is a huygenian-mittenzwey 2 element design which were supplied as stock with Vixen refractors such as the SP102M in Europe.

The V in the circle is an early Vixen trademark I think. Probably 1970's / very early 1980's in vintage.

The Tupperware type box on the tripod central tray is a Vixen thing as well I think.

Edited by John
  • Like 3

I owned a 102mm F13 Vixen Polaris achromat back in the mid 80's. It was an amazing scope from what I remember of it, and beautiful too! The V indicates Vixen eyepieces. The attached image is of a Polaris refractor belonging to an astronomer in the US. He has brought it back to life after finding it in a scrap pile at his local astro society. It beggars belief that a scope like that could ever be discarded by true lovers of this hobby. 

IMG_1795.JPG

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 5

Thanks Both I had a feeling that there would be knowledgeable members on the forum. I have a good friend who because of serious medical reasons has decided to sell his equipment. There most be 15 or more telescopes and boxes of eyepieces - many .965 size. There is a large Fullerscopes Newtonian 12" with an 'A' grade mirror -1/10th wave - lots to sort out.

This 'Vixen' Achro looks a lovely scope for Planetary or Double.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Thanks Both I had a feeling that there would be knowledgeable members on the forum. I have a good friend who because of serious medical reasons has decided to sell his equipment. There most be 15 or more telescopes and boxes of eyepieces - many .965 size. There is a large Fullerscopes Newtonian 12" with an 'A' grade mirror -1/10th wave - lots to sort out.

This 'Vixen' Achro looks a lovely scope for Planetary or Double.

Nice original Polaris equatorial/Altazimuth mount too! ☺

The comments have been really helpful because I have looked again at the badge which states 103a and 184. I never measured the lens width because I was told it was 90mm. However I think this is a Vixen 103a achro f/13 and it's manufactured number is 184. Does this seem a logical conclusion.

I need to give his Wife an estimated of its for sale value - any thoughts?

Hi Mark,

Nice find!👍

If the scope is around the 102mm mark it could be closely related to the Vixen Pulsar model. It certainly looks big and long enough. I owned one of those several years ago.

Have a read of this old thread I posted some years ago..you can read more about the Pulsar I had and some pictures:

As to potential value, it's a difficult one, quite subjective and  dependent on condition, rarity, and of course, desirability (which can be influenced by rarity).

Some additional photos would be helpful, to see the full package, and optics condition..I'd estimate a range between £200 and £300 perhaps? But could be a bit more or less depending on other factors, mainly condition and completeness of the setup etc..

HTH😊

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pixies said:

What the flip was going on with Vixen in 1991? 

image.png.1d8aecd155da70c37ef56664c9382e11.png

I think Peter Drew was the sole UK Vixen dealer back in the 80's. Perhaps the sheep have something to do with Peter being based on the Lancashire/Yorkshire border? Mildly disturbing really!!🐏🐑

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 28/08/2021 at 09:08, Mark at Beaufort said:

The comments have been really helpful because I have looked again at the badge which states 103a and 184. I never measured the lens width because I was told it was 90mm. However I think this is a Vixen 103a achro f/13 and it's manufactured number is 184. Does this seem a logical conclusion.

I need to give his Wife an estimated of its for sale value - any thoughts?

I paid £400 for a secondhand 4" F13 on an altazimuth fork and tripod in 1986, and it was worth every penny to me. Of course things have moved on and refractors with ED optics in shorter tubes are relatively cheap. I'd imagine £250 would be a rough value given the competition. Back in the 80's there were few in the same league as Vixen, at least that were easily available and in a similar price bracket. I think its beautiful!

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I paid £400 for a secondhand 4" F13 on an altazimuth fork and tripod in 1986, and it was worth every penny to me.

Was it called Vixen Sensor 102? 

I had a Vixen 4" on a fork in the 80'S and it was called "Sensor". Never heard of or seen one since?

27 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Was it called Vixen Sensor 102? 

I had a Vixen 4" on a fork in the 80'S and it was called "Sensor". Never heard of or seen one since?

Vixen used to have an equatorial mount called the "Sensor". Quite a heavy duty mount - even more so than the GPDX. It was also known as the "Saturn" mount.

One of their models had a 102mm F/15 refractor optical tube on the Sensor mount. Quite an impressive scope. Here is one branded Celestron:

vintage celestron C100E refractor - Classic Telescopes - Cloudy Nights

Edited by John
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, John said:

Vixen used to have an equatorial mount called the "Sensor". Quite a heavy duty mount - even more so than the GPDX.

One of their models had a 102mm F/15 refractor optical tube on the Sensor mount. Quite an impressive scope. Here is one branded Celestron:

Now that's a telescope! The rotary eyepiece turret is similar to one I had on an old Unitron 75mm refractor.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Franklin said:

Now that's a telescope! The rotary eyepiece turret is similar to one I had on an old Unitron 75mm refractor.

Ditto! I had one, a Unihex Turret, on my Unitron Polarex 4" F15 folded refractor. It took 4x 0.965" and 1x 1.25" eyepieces. Superbly engineered.

Dave

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 30/08/2021 at 17:44, John said:

Vixen used to have an equatorial mount called the "Sensor". Quite a heavy duty mount - even more so than the GPDX. It was also known as the "Saturn" mount.

That would have been my dream scope. Do you still have it stored in your loft John? 

• Like 2

On 30/08/2021 at 16:57, mikeDnight said:

I think Peter Drew was the sole UK Vixen dealer back in the 80's. Perhaps the sheep have something to do with Peter being based on the Lancashire/Yorkshire border? Mildly disturbing really!!🐏🐑

Astrosystems of Luton of which I was a founder director were the Vixen importers.  Rob Miller was responsible for the Vixen imports.  Opticron eventually took over the dealership following Rob's move to the USA. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

Astrosystems of Luton of which I was a founder director were the Vixen importers.  Rob Miller was responsible for the Vixen imports.  Opticron eventually took over the dealership following Rob's move to the USA. 

I don't suppose you happen to have a spare Saturn mount under your mattres Peter???

• Haha 1