Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQDIRECT Cable

centroid

Have any of you guys used this EQdir cable from Amazon (USAN brand), and if so, good or bad?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skywatcher-Telescopes-Control-HEQ5pro-mount-pc-grey-cable/dp/B085WT9VZ6/ref=psdc_430472031_t2_B07HL2Z741

The UK made Lynx version is an out of stock item with UK outlets, albeit £35 as opposed to £23 for the Amazon one.

4 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If it's a true FTDI chipset, then there should be no issues....

Unfortunately, that information isn't provided, and no user reviews.

Back in the day, I used the original Hitec Astro one, UK made.

The 'Spec' states:

New Geniune FTDI Chip. Support all windows , andorid , Mac OS, Vista
And there are user reviews, with some being very negative, it appears that it's a hit & miss product...

Personally, and if you are any good with a soldering iron / crimper, then getting something like this adaptor (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174388761395?hash=item289a615333:g:0aEAAOSwv-NWYE0M) and re-wiring to a BNC lead, will give you a working lead, I've made all my own this way...

Back in the day I always used to make up my own cables Julian, apart from the EQDir cable. I still have a variety of  RJ connectors, and the Crimping tool, so making one up is an option, but it needs to be 5m in length.

4 minutes ago, centroid said:

it needs to be 5m in length.

Was just about to ask.... I have a spare 1m one but obviously of no use to you. 

ebay/Amazon is what it is - the listing says 'genuine FTDI chip' and I don't generally pay any attention to the user reviews as they are usually a) the advertiser giving 5 stars and b) the competition giving 1 star. But you take your chances. I don't like the picture of the seller's observatory - empty beer cans and cigarette butts all over the place!!! 

Maybe put a Wanted ad on here, someone may have a Lynx Astro cable to sell you.

btw, the HEQ5 motherboards are notoriously bad for over-voltage, reverse-polarity etc. protection. I'm usually pretty good at soldering and crimping but I managed to fry my board nonetheless. Usual mistake is to accidentally put 12V on the UART logic pins and there's no voltage protection before the onboard PICs, which contain a surprising amount of magic smoke.

I have just established that Rother Valley Optics have the Hitech Astro version in stock, at £32. Knowing what it comprises, I think its an OTT price, and the Lynx one is even dearer at £35.

I had a 27ft 5 berth motor cruiser on the Broads for over 5 years, and anything that you bought that had the name 'Marine' in front of it, was three times the price of its equivalent from a non marine supplier. Stainless Steel  and Brass screws for example.  I would buy the same thing at Suffolk Fasteners at less the 1/3rd of the price in a Chandlery. I think its the same with Astro accessories, put Astro in the title, and up goes the price.

I don't mind paying, but I do like to get value for money, and its not a case of not being able to pay.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

Was just about to ask.... I have a spare 1m one but obviously of no use to you. 

ebay/Amazon is what it is - the listing says 'genuine FTDI chip' and I don't generally pay any attention to the user reviews as they are usually a) the advertiser giving 5 stars and b) the competition giving 1 star. But you take your chances. I don't like the picture of the seller's observatory - empty beer cans and cigarette butts all over the place!!! 

Maybe put a Wanted ad on here, someone may have a Lynx Astro cable to sell you.

btw, the HEQ5 motherboards are notoriously bad for over-voltage, reverse-polarity etc. protection. I'm usually pretty good at soldering and crimping but I managed to fry my board nonetheless. Usual mistake is to accidentally put 12V on the UART logic pins and there's no voltage protection before the onboard PICs, which contain a surprising amount of magic smoke.

As I said Padraic, you get what you pay for.  I guess I will have to "swallow my pride", and pay what to me is a "rip off" price.  I have recently spent £53k (not on finance) on a new motorhome, so I can afford £35 for a cable, it just "goes against the grain".

28 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

I know what you mean. I suppose it's £5 for the cable and £30 for the peace of mind. This is called Value-based Pricing. 😞

I'll have to make sure that I get it insured 😅

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, centroid said:

I don't mind paying, but I do like to get value for money, and its not a case of not being able to pay.

Whilst I've spend many, many times more than I ever expected on astronomy, I do still prefer to look for the cost-effective solution. If buying cheap isn't too expensive, then I'll give it a go - inevitably there's some things that just aren't good enough, but my home-made FTDI cable (spliced with a cable that had the correct end for the AZ-Gti) has been reliable, so hasn't needed the expensive replacement... (so far!) 

• Thanks 1