NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Great Rift

Really enjoying the few clear summer nights on the east coast and using my recently acquired 'used' 10-20mm Sigma lens. Have yet to try long exposures utilising this lens in combination with my Star Adventurer EQ mount. So short 20 sec exposures stacked and processed. Have also purchased Prof Ian Morison's book 'The Art of Astrophotography' and used his suggested processing techniques to bring out the nebulosity and place emphasis on stars forming constellations and asterisms. This image was taken from just above the beach looking south towards Southwold. The image is uncropped - 20x20 sec lights  at ISO3200 F4.5 and nom f=10mm.  Fixed tripod mounted Canon 600d DSLR. 

After 11:30pm Suffolk County Council turn out the majority of street lights in Oulton Broad where we live and on a cloud free night, the  contrast between the bright Milky Way and the dusty Great Rift can be seen with the naked eye stretching over our backyard. It is one of my favorite night sky features.

Cygnus Rift.png

• Like 19

42 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

lovely looking view, i was so happy to see this from the dark skies of Weybourne recently.

Hi Pete.Glad you had some clear skies in Weybourne. North Norfolk coast is great for star gazing. Weyborne crag also excellent for fossils- another of my ‘focussed’ hobbies!😜

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rustang said:

Looks great, I'm surprised you managed 20 sec subs without tracking, that's pretty good going. I struggled with 3 a few weeks ago when having a stab!

Hi Rustang

Thanks for your comment.Probably got away with 20 sec exposures as focal length was short (nom f=10mm as camera has apc sensor actual f=16mm). I was originally going for 30 sec but trailing was unacceptable even at 25sec. A bit trial and error. Looking forward to trying out this lens on my star adventurer eq mount, should be able to get 4minute exposures and hopefully plenty of glowing gas clouds in a wide-field context.

George

• Like 1

On 26/08/2021 at 21:02, Hawksmoor said:

Really enjoying the few clear summer nights on the east coast and using my recently acquired 'used' 10-20mm Sigma lens. Have yet to try long exposures utilising this lens in combination with my Star Adventurer EQ mount. So short 20 sec exposures stacked and processed. Have also purchased Prof Ian Morison's book 'The Art of Astrophotography' and used his suggested processing techniques to bring out the nebulosity and place emphasis on stars forming constellations and asterisms. This image was taken from just above the beach looking south towards Southwold. The image is uncropped - 20x20 sec lights  at ISO3200 F4.5 and nom f=10mm.  Fixed tripod mounted Canon 600d DSLR. 

After 11:30pm Suffolk County Council turn out the majority of street lights in Oulton Broad where we live and on a cloud free night, the  contrast between the bright Milky Way and the dusty Great Rift can be seen with the naked eye stretching over our backyard. It is one of my favorite night sky features.

Cygnus Rift.png

Well done Suffolk County Council - they sound, if you'll pardon the pun, like an enlightened bunch!

Edited by Peter_D
  • Haha 1