Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where exactly is 'bog pool in long mynd'?

BellalalaR

Hi, I've never star gazed but I really want to go see the milky way. I found a breath taking photo take in 'bog pool, long mynd' here http://www.andrewfusekpeters.com/milky-way-panorama-bog-pool#photo, but I cannot find the exact location anywhere.

Could anyone help me with it, or, could you please recommend another good location in the Carding Mill, Long Mynd area?

Thanks!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BellalalaR said:

Hi, I've never star gazed but I really want to go see the milky way. I found a breath taking photo take in 'bog pool, long mynd' here http://www.andrewfusekpeters.com/milky-way-panorama-bog-pool#photo, but I cannot find the exact location anywhere.

Could anyone help me with it, or, could you please recommend another good location in the Carding Mill, Long Mynd area?

Thanks!

It is in Shropshire, England.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Can't help with wanted location, but do want to point out that image of Milky Way is not going to represent what you'll see under dark skies.

These images are taken with long exposures and processed in software.

I'm not saying this to discourage you - just to help you prepare and set your expectations right.

Hello and welcome to the site 👍 According to the light polution map, Long Mynd is in what is called a Bortle 4 area. This in itself is very good and would give a good view of the night sky on a clear night. If however you drive 40ish miles west into Wales, somewhere like Llangurig, you are then in a bortle 3 area. This would give you very good views of the night sky. As vlaiv said, you will not see the same as the pictures in magazines etc but on a clear night, the sky will be superb. 

Hi there and welcome.

I think its probably taken from a location next to Pole Cottage looking east. There is a small rough car park next to it and you'd probably have to drive up the Burway from Church Stretton. Follow the signs for the gliding club. Bit of a steep narrow road and not recommended in winter!

https://goo.gl/maps/c5PDo9Vvs7savP6d7

As Vlaiv said it won't appear as good as that to the naked eye but is still pretty good on a dark moon free night.