NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello everyone at SGL

Hi everyone I quite new at this. 

I have an 12"skywatcher dob haven't had chance to use it yet weather sucks in Ireland. 

Had a few hours break in the weather during the day so I thought I adjust the finder scope.

I picked an object and adjusted finder scope to what I see in ep. Ep was an celestron 9mm omni  plossol . The image was crystal clear in the centre but was blurred around the sides has anyone have an idea why this is I would appreciate your help thanks

• Like 1

Welcome to SGL! as for the issue through the eyepiece I cannot say what would cause that specific issue, maybe collimation is off but soon enough others will weigh in.

Edited by Sunshine

HI,

Your 300 Dob has a focal ratio of F/5 (focal length divided by aperture). So it's pretty 'fast', meaning it's a light bucket and great for getting bright wide-field views. However, the faster the scope, the more demanding it is on eyepieces. That's because the eyepiece is trying to present a precise image from a wider anglular range of light rays.

The description of the Celestron Omni Plossls at FLO says: "Best suited for telescopes with f-ratios f6 or slower." - so I would say that your F/5 scope is bit too fast for your eyepiece. 

PS - These terms "fast" and "slow" really come from photography, where you are dealing with exposure times. It means less with telescopes and visual observation.

PPS - hope this makes sense and not too much terminology. 

Welcome !

Do consider making a topic in the 'welcome' section to introduce yourself , folk here are very friendly .

+1 for the BSTs , my little heritage dob is f5 too, and the 8mm, 12mm, 15mm are all pretty good in it. I don't notice any negatives with the 18mm, but I don't get on at all with the 25mm (it is perfectly good in less picky telescopes though)

There's a dizzying range of eyepiece choices out there for a bit more money, but at the price ( just under £50 new) the BSTs have an excellent reputation. Second hand ones quite often come up on the buy/swap threads here at an asking price of around £35 as folk upgrade to more expensive eyepieces, but to get one you need to be pretty quick !

Heather

10 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

The image was crystal clear in the centre but was blurred around the sides has anyone have an idea why this is I would appreciate your help thanks

Do you have any other eyepieces that you can try with? How are the views at night of (say) the moon? I have an F/5 too and I dont have such issues with the cheap and cheerful EPs.

Hi Dave

Do you have the same issue with your other EP's or just the 9mm?

ask 10 different people and you will get 10 different answers-  I have a 24mm for general sky scans then a 10mm and 5mm for closer work- I seriously wish I bought a zoom but where's the fun in getting it right first time? For my  F5 dob I personally prefer the Baader Hyperion EP's not majorly expensive as in Nagler territory , but I would support the BST's too for a relatively inexpensive but well regarded EP.

Keep an eye out on the second hand market and would not be surprised if you snagged a bargain like that big loverly dob you nabbed!

Edited by jacobingonzo

In so far as collimation, your secondary-scene should look like this, or nigh enough...

collimation1b.jpg.3b36ec63f9ade28dbcdc2137dc93745a.jpg

That's from my 6" f/5 Newtonian, and half as large as your own...

1094380408_6f5w2a.jpg.97d5adc6c7b550f3735f7dbc53d74b8f.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, even though your own is at f/5, in that it's twice the diameter, hence the issue at hand.

But don't let that discourage you, in the least.  You have a portable observatory there, most capable, and it's going to take time to get the best out of it.

Before purchasing additional eyepieces, it may be prudent to look into getting a coma-corrector, then try the 9mm again with that.