Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zoom Eyepieces

Hi there

I'm looking for some opinions on zoom eyepieces, I have personally never used one, but with money being tight a zoom gives the option of a 4 EPs in one.

I am looking at the Baader zoom, see here:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=bhyperionzoom

Also the Pentax zoom, see here:

http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Products/PENTAX_XF_6_5mm_-_19_5mm_.html

The FOV in the pentax does get a little narrow, more so than the Baader.

Has anyone any experience of either?

Thanks

Paul

There are some compromises in the zoom design - field of view is generally one of them. The 2 that you have highlighted are a couple of the best out there - personally the only zoom I've used is the Tele Vue Nagler 3mm-6mm which is a superb high power eyepiece.

I believe that some SGL members use the Baader zoom so you should get some views from them hopefully in due course.

John

Hi Paul,

I've heard good reports on the Baader,although I've never used one. I do own a Pentax SMC 8-24 zoom though. If you can put up with the narrower FOV of the XF then it's a wonderful eyepiece. Crisp,sharp and colour free. From what I have read the XF zoom is not quite as good as the SMC,but still a very good eyepiece.

I don't think a zoom will ever take away what fixed focal length eyepieces can do. I use it when I'm lazy. I did buy mine at a very good price though.

I have used a William Optics 7.5-22.5mm zoom II. I did like this also. Take a look at it. I only sold mine due to the fact I bought the Pentax.

Good luck with your choice.

Glen.

I use two Celestron zooms with my binoviewer. Not only do they save cost but they certainly take the faff out of changing magnifications with the attendant scope balancing issues. Zooms also have a narrow field of view than some eyepieces which can be a disadvantage.

I think it's a personal thing, for example a decent hyperion and a barlow will provide some flexibility while still affording wider field of view.

I'm leaning more towards the Baader at this moment, I have used Hyperions in the past and really enjoyed them, the build of these EPs is excellent. The lowest FOV with the zoom is 50 degrees, the same as a standard plossl.

I did look at the William Optics, and it got a good write up on the Grren Witch site, but it sports a much smaller FOV and maybe this is something that I don't want.

Paul

Hi Paul

I don't have any experience with Baader or Pentax zoom.

I have always been skeptical of the performance of zooms.

I find a zoom a convenient solution for my favorite target "the Moon".

Comparing my Seben (cheap as chips) zoom with my Baader 8mm Hyperion, I have found that slightly less FOV and ultimate detail is shown by the Seben.

The brightness and contrast are very similar.

For me the price difference of the Hyperion is not worth paying for.

I may well be selling the Hyperion in the future.

Paul

I just got a Celestron 8mm to 24mm zoom but as always when buying kit the cloud gods don't seem appeased. The main reason I got it was to aid in focusing my DSLR or Neximage ie to make the zoom and cameras parfocal. I hope to get focus using the cameras, then each time it is achieved replace it with the zoom lens and adjust till focus is achieved, mark the positions and hey presto. the next time I will aim telescope, use zoom set to one of the marks and adjust till focus is achieved, replace with camera and all should be in focus ready for imaging. Hope this makes sense (I know what I mean anyway) does anyone see any problems doing it this way??

I have used the Baader zoom for about a year now.

@ Kelling, although the majority of my time is now CCD, I only bother taking the Baader eyepiece!

The "clicks" are positive & fixed.... Each stop is *nearly* parfocal with the last; The views are very sharp & free of coma/elongation at the edges.

Also, it now comes with a ring adapter which fits the end such that it becomes a 2" fit - anyone with a 2" diagonal (most people these days... & if not, you prob. should), this becomes a very stable fit.

As you probably deduce.... I like this optic :(

Phil.

btw, if anyone wants to buy my Meade eyepiece set, I have replaced most of them with a certain click-zoom ocular :D

I am waiting eagerly for my Baader Hyperion zoom. Its out of stock at the moment. If you might get a spotting scope in future, the Hyperion zoom I hear will fit and significantly improve on the zooms that come with the Celestron spotting scopes.

Alan

The Hyperion Zoom is my main eyepiece (in a Celestron C5). The field of view is wide and sharp. I'd say it compares favourably with my other eyepieces but you'd probably want to compliment it with a decent wide field eyepiece (I've got a 30mm 2" Moonfish which is also great in my scope). The Zoom barlows nicely too. I've had a look through the cheaper celestron/seben zooms and while they're perfectly ok I can genuinely say that the Hyperion Zoom covers all my needs in the 8mm-20mm range.

If you're using a less forgiving scope then it's performance apparently is not quite so comprehensive.

Archived