Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Swift Binoculars

There are a couple of pairs of Swift Audobon bins for sale in a local charity shop for £10.00 a pair. Should I buy a pair?

They are in very ropey condition cosmetically, but have stickers on them which say RSPB member which is encouraging. 🙂

The first pair look like these. They have a distinct clunk when picked up suggesting that something inside is loose.

Image 1 - SWIFT AUDUBON  Mark I 8.5 x 44 PORROPRISM BINOCULARS -NICE EXAMPLE of the MARK I

The second pair look like these

See the source image

Edited by Astro Noodles

They are both in pretty ropey condition cosmetically, without dust-caps. The cases look like someone has had a good go at them with a cricket bat, and then a bicycle chain. Then run them over in a car a few times.

I had a look through both of them and they both focus ok, and appeared sharp to my untrained eyes.

I will probably get them both.

• Like 2

So, two pairs of Swift Audubon 8.5x44. One pair from circa 1966, and one pair from circa 1971. £10.00 each from local charity shop.

Who would like to see what condition they are in? 😄

Has Noodles got a bargain, or will these bins be destined for the bin? 😁

623874448_IMG_20210802_135438_1CS56.thumb.jpg.142bcb548b19933b79f72f3ba28eca8f.jpg

Edited by Astro Noodles
  • Like 2

Exhibit B

Swift Audubon Mk II circa 1971. I think these were probably purchased originally to replace the first pair.

Eyepiece lenses have a few marks and there are quite a few dents.

There is a distinct 'clunk' in the left side barrel.

IMG_20210802_160616.thumb.jpg.e7fbc6680e7f870ec63de7ad80f5da9f.jpg

This is pretty cruddy. It looks like it has been dunked in muddy water. The marking is present on all the optical elements.

643691235_IMG_20210802_16065064.thumb.jpg.b2571bae98049f4096ca983041c683ed.jpg

The left hand one is better but still has these water/fungus masks. There is a lot of dust and grit in there too.

1309373690_IMG_20210802_16065565.thumb.jpg.4dedde31540455895b83bdc6eaee3e36.jpg

2 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

So what do you think? Bin them? or is there enough there which would be worth repairing?

Have a look through both and decide which gives the best views then strip down the other pair and examine what can be cleaned/fixed, this will give you the opportunity to work out how they are put together.  Then strip the first pair and swap any bits that are worse than the other ones..

Alan

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm thinking along those lines. The optics are probably the same so maybe I can make some Franken-Swifts by using the best bits from both. Although I know nothing about binocular optics so there is a good chance that I will make a dog's dinner of it.

If the not cracked one gives nice view then clean it up and enjoy. These are reckoned to be qui the robustly designed, but I guess there is always a limit. They’ve certainly given their past users their money’s worth of use!

Peter

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/08/2021 at 18:50, Astro Noodles said:

Yeah, I'm thinking along those lines. The optics are probably the same so maybe I can make some Franken-Swifts by using the best bits from both. Although I know nothing about binocular optics so there is a good chance that I will make a dog's dinner of it.

Franken-Swift sounds like the way forward to me, also if you end up with one unusable pair binocular eyepieces can make very nice telescope eyepieces. At a guess I'd say they would be in the 24-26mm range on the models you have there and give nice wide crisp views, much better than the usual bundled eyepieces.

Have a look at the facebook group "A Second Look: Reusing Old Lenses for Astronomy" for more info, you can even reuse the objectives and prisms too, although I'd only recommend this with binoculars that are not serviceable as they're too useful for astronomy in working condition 😉 I've been hunting in the local charity shops for months now but am yet to have your kind of luck lol

• Like 1