When..the..Moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie..... it's all over?

Hey there

So I was wondering how my fellow visual astronomers use their clear sky observing opportunties every 2 weeks of each month when, like now, the Moon is very dominant and bright in the evening sky?

I am very much into DSO observing so, for me, when the sky is lightened by the Moon most of my favourite targets are washed out or extremely faint.

So when the Moon is up I find myself spending about a third of my observing time doing Lunar and the rest I use as an opportunity to experiment with alignment techniques, calibrations, goto approach experiments, etc. I actually enjoy experimenting with my OTA and mount as much as obseving itself, I have to be honest. 

So, aside from Lunar observing, and assuming no planets have risen yet, what do find yourself looking at when the Moon is up?

Siouxsie 

Edited by StarGazingSiouxsie
Missing worms

I observe double stars, they are quite resistant to moonlight or indeed all forms of light pollution.

You can also observe the Sun with appropriate filter in place, so not even have to wait to get dark 🙂

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Nik271 said:

I observe double stars, they are quite resistant to moonlight or indeed all forms of light pollution.

You can also observe the Sun with appropriate filter in place, so not even have to wait to get dark 🙂

Hi, thanks, yes I want to look at more double stars and doing some Sol work is good on not too hot days. 

Looks like you (?) might he cradling a Skywatcher Maksutov there? Is it the 150 or 180? I have a 180 on backorder

Edited by StarGazingSiouxsie

Just now, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

Hi, thanks, yes I want to look at more double stars and doing some Sol work is good on not to hoot days. 

Looks like you (?) might he cradling a Skywatcher Maksutov there? Is it the 150 or 180? I have a 180 on backorder

Yes, I have the the 180 Skymax from Skywatcher and I highly recommend it for planets, double stars, globular clusters, basically everything small that needs high magnification.

As for double stars there is a lot of interesting history and information about them. This book for example is a good starting point without being overwhelming.

Double & Multiple Stars, and How to Observe Them  by James Mullaney

Clear skies!

Nik

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nik271 said:

Yes, I have the the 180 Skymax from Skywatcher and I highly recommend it for planets, double stars, globular clusters, basically everything small that needs high magnification.

As for double stars there is a lot of interesting history and information about them. This book for example is a good starting point without being overwhelming.

Double & Multiple Stars, and How to Observe Them  by James Mullaney

Clear skies!

Nik

Thanks Nik I'll take a look at that and I hope enjoy my Mak as much as you enjoy yours!! I kinda see it as a halfway house between a refractor and a CST - has the the qualities of (better) contrast and sharpness that a refractor will bring but in a more manageable CST folded optics CST format (aside from secondary mirror being different)

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/07/2021 at 06:26, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

So, aside from Lunar observing, and assuming no planets have risen yet, what do find yourself looking at when the Moon is up?

Siouxsie 

TV. 😄

I observe the Sun almost every day with my achromatic 80/400 and with a glass solar filter at full aperture, this summer and when I am in Cagliari with my mother is my main astronomical activity. Unfortunately in Cagliari I have slices of the sky and you don't see much (in addition to light pollution which I don't think is so disastrous). In Orotelli I also have a nice terrace but ... .... to go to the beach you have to do one way 60/70 km while in Cagliari I go there by city bus (by car to the beach of Cagliari, the Poetto, I would not find room in the morning for park, but travel well: I always sit, there is air conditioning and in the meantime I read a few books). The problem is that when you go out in Orotelli during the winter you have to freeze your ears and dentures (compared to Cagliari there are about 5 ° less than in Cagliari, more or less the temperature than it would in London), so I tend to stay warm ... ..
The Skywatcher mak 180/2800 must be divine on the Moon, planets and double stars, I've always heard a lot of good about it (I've never tried it), I discarded it because I prefer a more universal instrument and because it is a little heavy. I have an EQ5, certainly for visual use it would still hold it, but….

Edited by Gonariu
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

When the Moon is too bright for DSO's, I'll observe double stars and also asteroids.  For the asteroids I use charts I make from SkyTools 4 or Starry Nights.  These charts have naked eye , finder, and EP views identifying the location of the asteroid.   There are always asteroids out brighter than mag 10 out so you can hunt them down whenever the Moon is too bright.    I will also practice star hops to DSO targets I want to see when the sky is dark enough.   It helps me when I'm trying to see these for real because I'm familiar with the route and I won't be fumbling around as much.   Sometimes I I can see my targets when the Moon is bright.   Generally galaxies won't be visible but planetary nebulas might be.  Especially the smaller ones and not ones like the Helix nebula.  They are surprisingly immune from light pollution using OIII/UHC filters.

Phil

• Like 2