Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Summer Observing Report

I finally found some time between hectic work schedules and cloud to get in my first observing since April (mad!) a few nights ago :)

Waited till around 1115pm (BST) till it got a reasonable level of summer dark and I was very surprised that there was so much to see in the clear evening with both eyes and telescope! With the added bonus of being able to observe in a t shirt and shorts :D

I figured I would go for bright objects which would be more visible both due to the lack of true dark and my telescope only being a small 90mm. 

Started with the Great Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules. I had seen this one before but it was still fantastic, it takes magnification well but unfortunately as last time I was not able to resolve any stars even at the edge of the cluster. I did even try my barlow with the 8mm EP but it was to much magnification as I ran out of focus room on the scrope :)

Messier 13 - Great Cluster in Hercules

I next went for a new object that I had seen mention a few times on this forum, Ring Nebula M57 in Lyra. I had no concept of what this might look like in my telescope, if indeed I could find it, but after a few failed star hops as this was up near my telescopes max zenith I did manage to get into the right position to see it. At first I could only perceive it as an indistinct grey blob with some patience, averted vision and playing with different magnification I was astounded by the "ring" just hanging in the night sky. I imagine with a bigger telescope or on a darker night it would be even more amazing to re-visit. 

image.png.651975a3665519780d8b9c6a75f61236.png

Finally with the hours creeping past midnight I had calculated that I may get a view of the planets Saturn and Jupiter. Unfortunately they are quite low in the sky and in my built up area with houses and various trees I was not hopeful. 

I was surprised therefore when Saturn appeared rising just above the trees, it was a bit murky at first but it gradually became clearer. This is the second planet I have ever spotted, with Mars being my constant winter companion so I pretty sure I just stood there watching it for a good 20 minutes taking in this small white dot with a perceptible ring around it. I did get the photo below through the EP with my camera phone but its not as clear as the visual was in being able to see the rings separation from the planet.  

image.png.fd9b5d70596356bcefe2873bdd7e4fb1.png

After this spectacle I decided to pan across and see if Jupiter had risen. Again I was lucky and it had cleared the roof of the house opposite, a lot larger than Saturn I could clearly make out 4 moons in a line at various distances around it and areas of grey cloud banding on its surface. Again I was transfixed for a good 20-30 minutes switching back and forth before they both began to dip out of clear line of sight.

A marvelous night full of firsts, I hadn't quite realised how much I had missed the sheer wonder of the night sky in the few months I hadn't had time / opportunity to do some stargazing. It just goes to show no matter if its full summer there is still opportunities to observe :D  

Edited by wibblefish
  • Like 20

Your post made me smile.  As a complete novice I took possession of my 1st scope etc mid may and until the last week or so the weather has been absolute " not clear ".  Got some solar in and a nice pic of the part eclipse in the brief moment of clear that I had.  My scope is larger - 6" sct with starsense explorer.  I love it.   The last couple of nights were firsts for me also. I had dabbled before with the odd cluster and doubles and started to find my way around.  The moon has been rising in daylight too recently ( see avatar ) so more fun.  Saturn and Jupiter have opened up to me now though and like you I was gobsmacked the last 2 nights.  They rise viewing from outside my front door which is not ideal as I am in a cul de sac with a double street lamp in the middle right outside my door. Notwithstanding that and my Bortle 8 skys,  Saturn appeared around 11.30 ish to my view and Jupiter a bit after that.  Got down to 187.5 x mag using Baader Zoom and was surprised at how clear the views were seeing as these were very low on the horizon. I just need to master setting up the phone mount with the Baader and getting things right in the dark..  Great sessions though and I feel / share your joy.  

Edited by Starslayer
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Starslayer said:

Your post made me smile.  As a complete novice I took possession of my 1st scope etc mid may and until the last week or so the weather has been absolute " not clear ".  Got some solar in and a nice pic of the part eclipse in the brief moment of clear that I had.  My scope is larger - 6" sct with starsense explorer.  I love it.   The last couple of nights were firsts for me also. I had dabbled before with the odd cluster and doubles and started to find my way around.  The moon has been rising in daylight too recently ( see avatar ) so more fun.  Saturn and Jupiter have opened up to me now though and like you I was gobsmacked the last 2 nights.  They rise viewing from outside my front door which is not ideal as I am in a cul de sac with a double street lamp in the middle right outside my door. Notwithstanding that and my Bortle 8 skys,  Saturn appeared around 11.30 ish to my view and Jupiter a bit after that.  Got down to 187.5 x mag using Baader Zoom and was surprised at how clear the views were seeing as these were very low on the horizon. I just need to master setting up the phone mount with the Baader and getting things right in the dark..  Great sessions though and I feel / share your joy.  

Congratulations on your telescope, hope it continues to bring wonder!

I think its one of those sheer scale things, I mean I love the DSO / double stars / clusters and all sorts which I've been observing through winter (got my scope last Nov) and they are huge and gigantic beyond my comprehension. There is something different about seeing those neighbouring giant planets that gives me a real sense of wonder and makes me feel small against the infinite universe, I find astronomy very zen at times.

Edited by wibblefish
  • Like 1

Congratulations on finding M57 😀  I also spent a while trying to find it the first time, but before long you'll find it comes quite easily.  A lot of it is about knowing what to expect in a real scope, rather than Hubble images.

I had a look at Saturn (and Jupiter) the other night, for the first time in years. It is surprisingly good, even at these low altitudes. I look forward to seeing it in 2034!

You may get lucky with resolving something on the fringes of M13, depending on your skies and the conditions. I failed with my 70mm frac but succeeded with the 150mm reflector; you're in between.

• Like 1

Love reading reports like this- takes me back a couple of years to when this was all so new :) Took me ages to find M13 not helped by being unable to clearly see the constellation of Hercules in my light polluted sky! But it’s definitely a favourite now. Even with my 8” scope it’s not like the individual stars pop out but the longer i look and relax my eye the more they seem to twinkle in and out of peripheral vision. It’s quite magical. I’ve been trying to photograph it recently to capture the wealth of colour in the thousands of stars.

Enjoy the journey and clear skies!

Mark

• Like 1

We'll done for finding the time and getting back to it!

Great report.

Love the photo of Saturn from your phone, you've inspired me to have another go! I like the idea and practice of flirting with astrophotography on a budget!!

The ring nebula is great! So looking forward to visiting it again in a dark skies area which, hopefully, will be tonight!

Best,

T

• Like 1