Can't find Orion XT8i being sold anywhere in the UK

I am new here to the SGL, and am also new to astronomy, and was therefore looking to buy my first telescope. I had decided the Orion XT8i would be well suited to me for portability, efficiency and all-round great views, but was unable to find any retailer selling it in the UK, or even shipping to the UK.

I would be grateful for any advice. 

While Orion US does not have a UK warehouse they do ship goods from their EU warehouse to the UK. BTW although the website might mislead you to think it is UK based from the name it is based in the US. They do say that all import duties and taxes are included in the prices shown on the website.

https://uk.telescope.com

Edited by johninderby

7 hours ago, Astro Noodles said:

Hi Sean.

Orion is the tradename used by Synta for products sold in the USA and Canada, The tradename for their European products is SkyWatcher.

First Light Optics stock a wide range of SkyWatcher telescopes. Skywatcher | First Light Optics

6 hours ago, johninderby said:

Orion USA is a totally independent American owned company that buys in scopes from a number of manufacturers and is not a part of Synta. They do however buy in some of their scopes from Synta.

Orion USA now own Meade. 

Just look out for the nearest looking modal from Skywatcher. The Orion Sky Quest 16G Dobsonian Synscan base sold in America for example is exactly the same in every detail to the Skywatcher 400P mount sold in Europe except for the colour and labelling. 

Most of the main brand units probably exit out of the same Chinese factory  and the different companies slap on their own livery badges.

Orion (USA) branded products always seem to be priced higher than their Skywatcher branded counterparts in the UK, if you can find them. Shame really because, while optically the same, some of the Orion products have some really nice features of their own, eg: the Intelliscope "push to" system.

The main Orion dealer in the UK was SCS Astro down at Wellington, Somerset but that business closed down a few years back when the owner retired.