Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leak in skyshedpod

blinky

I’m not sure if @SkyShed - Wayne is still in this forum? I’m having leak issues with my pod, mainly at the pivots which I’ve redone the seal on tonight but…. When I open the pod up, water seems to pour out from inside the section that I lift up, I’ve no idea how it gets in there to seal it up? Anybody got any ideas/experienced this before?

I’m no good at explaining these things! Think of the skyshedpod pod as like a spaceman’s helmet, the visor slides up right? The big bolt at the left of the image is the pivot where the ‘visor’ slides up. Water keeps coming in and I can’t stop it. I might have had a breakthrough though…. When opening and shutting I could see there is a pinch point and the gasket was getting jammed, I’ve now cut the gasket short, so it now ends before the pinch point meaning it no longer jams. I need to wait on a wet day to see if the water is dripping off the gasket on to the other gasket and draining away though…

45CD0F40-CEC7-4EA4-B825-28F058F03284.jpeg

AAD7D810-8BFD-4CE2-B513-87BED0CB2705.jpeg

Mine leaks at the pivots too.  Think many have the same problem.   I just place a bucket under the pivots and empty it if there has been a downpour. 

l use a dehumidifier in the winter months to keep everything dry so if need be l can suck up any splashes.  

Not ideal but works for me.  I have also read of someone fitting a piece of gutter  under the pivots with a hose through the wall to drain it back outside. 

carole

5 hours ago, carastro said:

Mine leaks at the pivots too.  Think many have the same problem.   I just place a bucket under the pivots and empty it if there has been a downpour. 

l use a dehumidifier in the winter months to keep everything dry so if need be l can suck up any splashes.  

Not ideal but works for me.  I have also read of someone fitting a piece of gutter  under the pivots with a hose through the wall to drain it back outside. 

carole

I do the same with buckets but its just not great, all that kit and 2 buckets full of water!

I do the same with buckets but its just not great, all that kit and 2 buckets full of water!

It's a flaw in the design, and as you say not ideal.  

I managed to find the photo of what some-one had done. it was a screen grab from on here a few years ago.  I hope whoever it was doesn't mind me re-posting to help fellow Astronomers. 

Carole 

POD Leak gutter.jpg

Edited by carastro

Sadly, leaks are always a risk with roofs that have sliding elements/ openings. 

Fortunately, the denizens of this her parish are a resourceful lot and a solve can always be found.