NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1396 - ASI183MM first light

Adreneline

Was really lucky to get a clear night and try out my new ASI183MM-Pro with the Samyang 135mm using an Astronomik Ha 6nm filter.

I know it's not a perfect match but the little 2.4um pixels of the ASI183MM are a better match with the Samyang 135mm than the ASI1600MM

Completely processed in PI with a final bit of noise reduction (10) only in Topaz DeNoise AI - no sharpening!

This is 20 x 180s unguided at 111 gain, -20 degrees C with minimal edge effect cropping only.

IC1396-PI_complete_rgb-DNAI.thumb.jpg.ef611c20db7eada0b5160ebd811b35e5.jpg

I think the focus could have been better but I'm pretty pleased with the star shapes.

The target is a little off-centre as I was using a RedCat+1600 sitting alongside to plate solve and capture more Ha at the same time.

Thanks for looking. As always C&C welcome.

Adrian

• Like 25

33 minutes ago, Craney said:

is there any point in dreaming of  the zwo2600 MM or the QHY268MM when this one delivers such great widefield results ?

Good question! The fov is even wider with the 1600 but the 183 is definitely a better match.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fifeskies said:

I would be very happy with that as a first try out shot , pretty fine result if you ask me.

Thank you - it turned out better than I expected - just wish I'd really nailed the focus.

1 hour ago, peter shah said:

wow that lovely and deep

Thank you Peter. Had a spot of bother negating the amp glow at first so I re-took the darks (60 of them) and second time round it seems to have worked well - which is a relief! If I could get some OIII of the same quality I'd be a very happy chappy :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adreneline said:

Thank you - it turned out better than I expected - just wish I'd really nailed the focus.

Thank you Peter. Had a spot of bother negating the amp glow at first so I re-took the darks (60 of them) and second time round it seems to have worked well - which is a relief! If I could get some OIII of the same quality I'd be a very happy chappy :) 

Just wondering for my own improvement purposes what you look our for in regards to perfect/imperfect focus as with my eyes its looks ok and very nice by the way! 😊

4 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Just wondering for my own improvement purposes what you look our for in regards to perfect/imperfect focus as with my eyes its looks ok and very nice by the way! 😊

Thank you.

Well I am being picky. I noticed when I did the Star Analyse in Astro Pixel Processor it gave me fwhm figures of around 3.0 +/- 0.5 or so. I am pretty certain I can do better than that and get fwhm figures more like 2.0 +/- 0.25; in fact I generally get below 2.0 when imaging with the Samyang and ASI1600 in the past. When I looked at the BM diffraction pattern I did wonder if I had really nailed the intersection of all three lines but it was very close and so I left it cos' there wasn't much nautical darkness left to image. I rushed it a bit and rushing is never good :( 

HTH

Adrian

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Adreneline said:

Thank you.

Well I am being picky. I noticed when I did the Star Analyse in Astro Pixel Processor it gave me fwhm figures of around 3.0 +/- 0.5 or so. I am pretty certain I can do better than that and get fwhm figures more like 2.0 +/- 0.25; in fact I generally get below 2.0 when imaging with the Samyang and ASI1600 in the past. When I looked at the BM diffraction pattern I did wonder if I had really nailed the intersection of all three lines but it was very close and so I left it cos' there wasn't much nautical darkness left to image. I rushed it a bit and rushing is never good :( 

HTH

Adrian

So yeah that mostly went over my head lol 🤣 I know nothing about fwhm figures so more to learn. Il stick with my basic diffraction spikes for now! 😊

21 minutes ago, Rustang said:

So yeah that mostly went over my head lol 🤣 I know nothing about fwhm figures so more to learn.

Sorry. FWHM as I understand it is a measure of how well focussed you are. The lower the better. I think SharpCap focus aid uses FWHM and I know BackYardEoS has a FWHM focus aid built in - and maybe APT?

Apologies.

Adrian

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Sorry. FWHM as I understand it is a measure of how well focussed you are. The lower the better. I think SharpCap focus aid uses FWHM and I know BackYardEoS has a FWHM focus aid built in - and maybe APT?

Apologies.

Adrian

Don't be silly, you weren't to know I've still got much to learn! 😊 Hopefully APT does as that's what I use so will look into it! 👍

• Like 1