Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Noctilucent Clouds 21st June (NEW - time lapse link in reply)

...from Swaledale, North Yorkshire.  Display started past the zenith to the *south*.

Canon 6D MkII, Samyang 14mm and Sigma 24mm.  First image is about 115 degrees wide!

Hoping images dispay in correct sequence  :) best clicked into.

Cheers, Paul.

IMG_3181 03.jpg

IMG_3187 02.jpg

IMG_3211 02.jpg

IMG_3408 02.jpg

Edited by clarkpm4242
  • Like 21

Nice images. I particularly like the light in the foreground image, nice composition. I've been seeing norty clouds quite frequently lately. Not sure if they are actually more frequent or I have more time to see them now I'm retired.. 🤔

• Like 1

Very nice.

I saw them from Harrogate at about 11:15pm, but they were so extensive  I thought they must be  some high cirro-cumulus.   When they persisted I began to think about the camera and a time lapse.   Then lo-and-behold, by about midnight they had more or less disappeared.  Surprised they went so quick,  I did not think NLC's were so transitory.

Sean.

• Like 1

Cracking image Paul 👍 

I quite like the use you're making of the single light. It works here and it did on the gate too. How many attempts did it take to place it until you got it spot on ?

In fact it makes the background even more obvious that there's no real light pollution in the valley.

Dave.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davew said:

Cracking image Paul 👍 

I quite like the use you're making of the single light. It works here and it did on the gate too. How many attempts did it take to place it until you got it spot on ?

In fact it makes the background even more obvious that there's no real light pollution in the valley.

@davew thank you!  Am very pleased with how the light works.  Gives a really different result compared to fully light painted foregrounds.   Quickly learn from mistakes.  Not too close to object, remember camera line of sight, start on dimmest setting.  All single exposures, may need a foreground exposure for dark nights.

A short image/timelapse/music mash-up.  Cheers, Paul.

• Like 3

• clarkpm4242 changed the title to Noctilucent Clouds 21st June (NEW - time lapse link in reply)
2 hours ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Quickly learn from mistakes.  Not too close to object, remember camera line of sight, start on dimmest setting.  

I was imagining you setting the light, walk back to the camera, take a photo, check the back screen, move the light, walk back to the camera and repeat. I've also been trying to imagine what you'd do at Old Gang. You'd need a few shots stacked in PS that's for sure.

Love the timelapse ending on your video.

Dave.

On 23/06/2021 at 14:03, clarkpm4242 said:

@davew thank you!  Am very pleased with how the light works.  Gives a really different result compared to fully light painted foregrounds.   Quickly learn from mistakes.  Not too close to object, remember camera line of sight, start on dimmest setting.  All single exposures, may need a foreground exposure for dark nights.

A short image/timelapse/music mash-up.  Cheers, Paul.

Love that time lapse section, Paul.  In my opinion it’s by far the best way to appreciate these things!

• Thanks 1