NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Axes too stiff to balance?

Whenever I try to balance my mount I tend to find there is a limit to how free the rotation is in the RA and Dec axes even with the clutches fully off. This means it's very hard to see when they are balanced as I don't know if the lack of rotation is because I have actually achieved balance, or that the axis is just too stiff to show the movement.

Does anyone know how I can loosen things up a little?

It's an Eq6R Pro

Thanks

16 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Whenever I try to balance my mount I tend to find there is a limit to how free the rotation is in the RA and Dec axes even with the clutches fully off. This means it's very hard to see when they are balanced as I don't know if the lack of rotation is because I have actually achieved balance, or that the axis is just too stiff to show the movement.

It's an Eq6R Pro

Thanks

My EQ8 is exactly the same, but it does not matter, as as long as it’s balanced based on the mount as it is, then it will be fine when imaging, as the stiffness will compensate for any out of balance, if that makes sense….it did in my head….👍🏼😂

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stuart1971 said:

My EQ8 is exactly the same, but it does not matter, as as long as it’s balanced based on the mount as it is, then it will be fine when imaging, as the stiffness will compensate for any out of balance, if that makes sense….it did in my head….👍🏼😂

Right! I never thought of that. Yes, it does indeed make sense. Thanks 😀

• Like 1

I would take the view that the stiffness ought not to be there. It's setup with bearings so were it not for any clutch interaction, should spin freely. 

My eq8 moves not quite easily but it's not stiff. The motor imbalance causes it to tip for example after it passes the meridian, when it's off the clutches. 

8 minutes ago, skybadger said:

I would take the view that the stiffness ought not to be there. It's setup with bearings so were it not for any clutch interaction, should spin freely. 

My eq8 moves not quite easily but it's not stiff. The motor imbalance causes it to tip for example after it passes the meridian, when it's off the clutches. 

Yes my EQ8 is the same, any weight I add under 300grams does not seem to make any difference, over 300 and it starts to tip…so a bit of stiction is present and capable of holding approx 300 grams….not sure if that is normal or not…

My AZ-EQ6 is exactly the same too. It went back to RVO and they said they could balance it fine so I had it back. The only point where the DEC is “loose” is when the scope and weight are horizontal with no weight on the bearings if you see what I mean so I balance the scope itself at that point. I can probably move the weight a couple of inches either way with no noticeable difference to “balance” in the RA axis.

I am convinced that’s why my guiding is sometimes a bit hit and miss......

58 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

You can check the amount of power drawn with a meter, if reasonably similar in both directions the balance is good enough.     🙂

Yes I have done this and it’s exactly the same power draw all the way around on both axis….so I am happy 👍🏼

On 16/06/2021 at 18:14, StuartT said:

It's an Eq6R Pro

Thanks

As others have said, it's normal, and mine's the same. Generally not too fussy with getting exact balance and guiding performance is pretty similar from night to night, so doesn't seem to matter too much. 

If you did want to improve it, you could strip and clean the bearings and then repack with a lighter grease. The other alternative would be to get the mount tuned by a company (very pricey though).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

As others have said, it's normal, and mine's the same. Generally not too fussy with getting exact balance and guiding performance is pretty similar from night to night, so doesn't seem to matter too much. 

If you did want to improve it, you could strip and clean the bearings and then repack with a lighter grease. The other alternative would be to get the mount tuned by a company (very pricey though).

Yes all true, but steer clear of Dark Frame Optics, hearing some horror stories about them lately…..😮

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stuart1971 said:

Yes all true, but steer clear of Dark Frame Optics, hearing some horror stories about them lately…..😮

Yes, l didn't want to name them specifically as the last thread about them ended somewhat controversially. In any event, I have no first hand experience of them, so can't pass any comment. 

• Like 1

one way, is to push it with a finger - it it feels the same force to make it move both ways, yer good.

slightly more technical - pull up with an elastic band - note length when it moves. should be same other end.

If you want to get more fancy, attach a luggage scale and pull up. should be same both sides.

stu

37 minutes ago, powerlord said:

one way, is to push it with a finger - it it feels the same force to make it move both ways, yer good.

slightly more technical - pull up with an elastic band - note length when it moves. should be same other end.

If you want to get more fancy, attach a luggage scale and pull up. should be same both sides.

stu

All good ideas, I like the luggage scale idea….I may well try that….👍🏼

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/06/2021 at 00:19, Stuart1971 said:

Just wondering, what stories have you heard? I'd be interested in knowing.....Cheers,

10 minutes ago, VWhippy said:

Just wondering, what stories have you heard? I'd be interested in knowing.....Cheers,

I am not prepared to say on here as it’s not allowed and the thread would be blocked….
But do a search and you will find some on here…. 😉

Edited by Stuart1971