Telescope/equipment prices/good news!

wesdon1

I just wanted to let others know, incase they weren't aware, that although the prices for Astro-gear has increased significantly recently for reasons beyond the Retailers control, i have noticed that the prices for used equipment for sale on various popular auction and other second hand sites have started to settle down now and indeed come down quite a bit! At the beginning of the year, sellers were asking for ludicrous prices for Astro-gear, oftentimes asking for more than the products were costing new!! ( due to Retailers struggling to obtain fresh stock! ). So if you're struggling to afford brand new equipment ( which for Telescopes especially i would always recommend buying new, because you never truly know how well the optics of used Telescopes have been taken care of ?? ) then definitely consider used equipment now that the prices are much more reasonable. I just really wanted to get this out there because most of us spend/will spend a lot of hard earned money on this beloved hobby of ours, so it's always important that we are able to get as much product "per pound spent" as humanly possible!! Clear Skies my friends! 

Wes, Liverpool, UK.

• Like 3

With care you can buy scopes 2nd hand as well. I have bought numerous scopes off here and also via Astro buy and sell. However I did always go down to check the scopes first before splashing any cash out, which others might not be in a position to do granted. Currently 3 out of the current 6 scopes I own (yeah, too many I know! ;) ) are 2nd if not 3rd hand and optics are very good still.

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's good news that the used market is settling again.

Over the years I've bought 95% of my equipment from the used market and I would simply not have been able to afford what I have now without taking that approach.

5 of my scopes are over 15 years old now and one is 20 plus. All still working excellently I'm pleased to say :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

With care you can buy scopes 2nd hand as well. I have bought numerous scopes off here and also via Astro buy and sell. However I did always go down to check the scopes first before splashing any cash out, which others might not be in a position to do granted. Currently 3 out of the current 6 scopes I own (yeah, too many I know! ;) ) are 2nd if not 3rd hand and optics are very good still.

Yes i agree it's always a good idea to see before buying 2nd's if at all possible, as there are some awesome bargains to be had. I too have bought 3 2nds during recent years, and 2 were pristine, but 1 was always troublesome! It was a SW 200p OTA, and i was never satisfied with it's optics?? to this day i just assumed that it was a rare faulty one from the factory, because the main and secondary mirrors looked utterly pristine, but when viewing things through them, the veiws were just awful, no matter what i did to try "resolve" the issue! lol.

SGL is usually a good place to buy. It's rare to see price gouging or rubbish gear here. Just lately there's been some great stuff available for sale at reasonable prices.

I've bought several equipment items used without issue. The six telescopes I've owned have all been purchased new. However two were customer returns without accessories (I didn't need) and in perfect condition. One I still own. There's bargains to be had if you keep a look out.

Besides the astro dedicated forums, don't be too weary of *bay. Just ask the seller plenty of questions, don't be drawn into a bidding frenzy, spending more than necessary and be careful of those massive too good to be true 'bargains'. Have patience and engage the spidey sense!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GoldTop57 said:

What's the consensus on 2nd hand cooled cameras? I've noticed a few where the cooling systems have failed and have been repaired, I understand the warranties are not transferable.

As long as the sensor chamber hasn't been tampered with and there is no scratch or crack on the sensor window, the camera should be fine. As for the TEC cooling system, you can always ask the seller to demonstrate its function either in person or in a video clip to verify its condition. To prevent damage and prolong the life the TEC cooler, you should always avoid rapid cooling and warming.