SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Can someone evaluate my set-up?

Keep in mind I'm just a newbie who is just starting out so I'd love to hear perspective and input as far as what I still might need (or don't).

Here is my set-up:
Celestron TravelScope 70
Skywatcher AZ-GTi mount
Celestron 1.25-Inch Twist-Lock Dielectric Star Diagonal
Celestron 2.3mm X-Cel LX Eyepiece
Celestron 32 mm Omni Plossl Eyepiece
Celestron 8-24 mm Zoom Eyepiece
Celestron 1.25" 3x X-Cel LX Barlow Lens
Celestron Neutral Density Moon Filter

You'll quickly notice my general affinity towards the Celestron brand, as that it what I gravitated to when I first started researching this hobby a few months ago.  I'm generally a "brand" guy so if I find one that I'm comfortable with, I'll stick with that brand unless they don't make something particular or something else is just so outstanding it's worth buying from another manufacturer.

I know that I need a little red flashlight so that's incoming. I also just bought a DC battery pack for my mount so I don't have to run on batteries.  What I don't have is a case to keep all my eyepieces (I have the backpack Celestron sent me with the scope), and what I'm finding so far is that in the dark it is tough to either find my eyepieces as I try them all out and it's also difficult to remember what FOV each eyepiece has because it's not printed on the EP anywhere, so are those things I can easily mark down on each piece or should I make a little "cheat sheet" and always bring it with me until I remember it?

Thanks for the help so far on this site, I am finding everyone genuinely helpful and kind towards others, and that is a major catalyst for not scaring off those new to this hobby.

• Like 1

Hello Maideneer looks a pretty good starter setup to me, very portable and can't think of a thing to add. Rather than a red flash light, see if you can get a red head torch, it will leave hands free. I am going to plug the planisphere as I find it  easy to use and gets you locating the brighter objects in the sky. Maybe an eyepiece phone holder to get in that lucky picture?

It's an interesting hobby this, probably a thousand different hobbies covered under the word astronomy, so as you get into the hobby you will find the route that your particular journey will take, so maybe hold off buying stuff until you get an idea of where your interests lie. 

3 minutes ago, M40 said:

Hello Maideneer looks a pretty good starter setup to me, very portable and can't think of a thing to add. Rather than a red flash light, see if you can get a red head torch, it will leave hands free. I am going to plug the planisphere as I find it  easy to use and gets you locating the brighter objects in the sky. Maybe an eyepiece phone holder to get in that lucky picture?

It's an interesting hobby this, probably a thousand different hobbies covered under the word astronomy, so as you get into the hobby you will find the route that your particular journey will take, so maybe hold off buying stuff until you get an idea of where your interests lie. 

A head torch, ha never thought of that!  Oh, I did fail to mention I do have an EP smartphone adapter so covered there.  Have not heard of a planisphere yet so will check it out!

8 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Looks like you have everything covered. Enjoy your set up - weather permitting!

Thank you!  Weather is a factor right now for the next week, booooo.

That'll be a fun and versatile mount.  You might want a Maksutov in future to complement the fast-refractor; swap them out and back again as desired.

I have a couple of Celestron telescopes, and a Celestron star-prism diagonal.  Actually, "Celestron", "Orion"(of California) and "Sky-Watcher" are all brands of their parent-company, Synta, with this item and that of each manufactured in the same factory even.  Synta does design items of each of their brands slightly different from one another, and to prop up the illusion.  I'm rather fond of an eclectic mix of telescopes and accessories myself, of differing brands.  There are quite a few instances where an item under one brand is superior to that of another, and sometimes the better item for less money.

In so far as a case to store the eyepieces and accessories, some use something like an aluminum case with pluck-foam, whilst I've read of one individual using a five-gallon paint-bucket.  It works for them, I suppose.  I myself am a bit frugal in that regard.  Currently, my take-out is this...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTSfTPYDrxiP0e4UZzG-w

A $5 plastic tool-box from Wal-Mart.  I have two of them, one for household-tools, for which the box was intended, and the other for astronomy.

In the end, it's all a matter of personal preference.  Harbor Freight is a good source for the aluminum cases with foam; Amazon, too.  Enjoy!

On 21/05/2021 at 17:30, Maideneer said:

...what I'm finding so far is that in the dark it is tough to either find my eyepieces as I try them all out and it's also difficult to remember what FOV each eyepiece has because it's not printed on the EP anywhere, so are those things I can easily mark down on each piece or should I make a little "cheat sheet" and always bring it with me until I remember it?

I've been observing for many years and still have a cheat sheet as I can never remember all the combinations 🤣  I put stickers on the caps of my eyepieces which contain the focal length of the EP, and have a sheet for each of my scopes which shows the focal length, magnification and FOV in degrees and minutes.  A second set of columns has the same, but values when used with a barlow.  It makes it much easier to check against notes on the fly.

If I'm observing at a dark site, I have a checklist of what I'm taking so something vital isn't left on the sofa.  Cheat sheets are a Good Thing!