Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Goyt valley star trails over Errwood Hall

This is an image that was never meant to be. It started out as a Day to Night timelapse but I managed to get a vital setting wrong ! It was an error that left me high and dry after almost 4 hours. After demolishing a plain chocolate Bounty and 2 Eccles cakes it occurred to me to light paint the wall and hope for the best ... and that's how I ended up making a star trail image with all the wrong settings for both the sky and walls 🤨

Nikon Z6  20mm f1.8 Nikkor lens.  227 x 5 second exposures for the sky and 6 x 10 second exposures for the wall and all processed in Lightroom and PS. 

It does at least show the Cosmos in motion as seen by the trailing stars, the moon moving across the scene and lighting up the far trees and the rise and fall of a man's stately abode. 

Dave.

EDIT - And then finally I put the image in the wrong place again !

Errwood Hall Star Trails-4.jpg

Edited by davew
  • Like 12

Cheers James,

Should I let everyone know that I turned up at the Hall and found myself with a camera in one hand and a tripod in the other and at first no way to attach them ? No, best not, no one would believe I could do such a stupid thing. I found a small screw at the bottom of my camera bag so it all ended well.

Thanks for sorting my post out 😀

Dave.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Did you use something first to generate the star stack before your PS etc fiddle, I would be floored layering over 200 images.

Hi Kat,

I know what you mean about being floored because the laptop I used to use for PS will no longer work at all due to the less than optimal memory on the graphics card. As I hadn't intended to produce this image I was in no hurry and opened all subs on a newer laptop as layers in PS. Then I literally walked off and had lunch ! If I was in a hurry I'd use one of the star trail apps before going into PS but at over 200 subs it's still not fast. One thing I do is turn multiple subs into a " Smart Object " and that makes things so much quicker and simpler. I don't normally produce star trails but if I set out to do them I use much longer, and therefor less subs.

Dave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FenlandPaul said:

Well, comedy of errors or otherwise, it’s a mighty fine image. 👏

I can tell you it's becoming a little worrying. One day I'll forget where I live !

I normally only forget one thing per outing but I changed my mind about something started to rearrange stuff and then it all went to pot 😀

Dave.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Bounties are disgusting...

Surely you mean Milk Chocolate Bounties are disgusting ?? Plain chocolate Bounties are sublime.

I hope you are doing well and are busy again.

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, davew said:

Surely you mean Milk Chocolate Bounties are disgusting ?? Plain chocolate Bounties are sublime.

I'll take either.  I really don't have a sweet tooth and I'm not particularly into chocolate, but for some reason I do enjoy a Bounty.  Certainly the plain chocolate variety is better, I'll grant you that.

James

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 21/05/2021 at 20:13, davew said:

Cheers James,

Should I let everyone know that I turned up at the Hall and found myself with a camera in one hand and a tripod in the other and at first no way to attach them ? No, best not, no one would believe I could do such a stupid thing. I found a small screw at the bottom of my camera bag so it all ended well.

Thanks for sorting my post out 😀

Dave.

Wasn't that the previous time? Or the time before that? ;) 

I'm looking forward to you going back and getting the day to night timelapse you wanted. The only advice I feel that I'm qualified to give is to take a lot more food - I'll leave the choice of chocolate to you obviously but I'm not a Bounty man ... but a bounty and a couple of eccles cakes - no way is that enough :)

James

• Like 1