Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Steven James O'Meara Observation Guides Question.

I have Steven James O'Meara's The Messier Objects book, and The Caldwell Catalogue. They are both fantastic, and I've since been browsing to see if there are more in the series, and it seems there are three more. There's the Southern Sky, (which won't interest me unless I go one day), and two more; one called The Secret Deep, which is in print, and one called Hidden Treasures, which is out of print (2007) and harder to find. My main question is - are the objects in The Secret Deep different to the objects listed in Hidden Treasures? I think both books feature none Messier/Caldwell objects, but are the objects in the book unique to each book? 
And a wider question, if anyone has the two books, which do you prefer? (I'd assume the brighter set of objects would be in the earlier book, Hidden Treasures).
They're not cheap books, I just paid £28 for the Caldwell book, but the wealth of information is stunning. And at 550 pages, it'll keep me going for a while. I'm only looking at his other books because now I don't want to miss out, should they go out of print.

I have 4 of the Steve O'Meara's books and you have missed 'Herschel 400 observing guide'.  I found after observing the Messier list the Herschel 400 was the most enjoyable to follow.

The Hidden Treasurers has some great objects but there are a number below -30 Dec which cannot be seen from the UK. If you check my signature you will see there are 87 available objects out of the 109.

The Secret Deep is another enjoyable book which lists 130 objects (he added an additional 21 objects). From the UK I think we can see 126 but there are a few at or around -30 Dec

I never bought the Southern Sky and the Caldwell book was difficult to find. In fact only 67 objects in the Caldwell list can be seen from the UK.

So the books listed have different objects although I would guess that the Herschel 400 might be a duplicate in some books.

So they are well worth getting. Just out of interest what scope are you using?

• Like 1

Thanks for that reply Mark, very informative. 

I've been using an 8" Skywatcher (as in my pic) for the last few years, but I'm in the process of renovating my old 10" dob. I just need to find a way of fixing the spider back on, as the welded nuts have fallen off.  So when I get my dob back working, I'll have a little more light-gathering power. This is why I'm reading up on none Messier targets, (I've pretty much seen all the Messier objects visible from here). I was aware some of the Caldwell objects weren't visible from here, but O'Meara's article in the April Astronomy Now magazine got me interested in the list. 
I've got access to a semi-rural site, so I'm hoping once the dob is working I'll step up my hunt of DSO's a bit. And O'Meara's the man to help me plan my sessions, I think!

Edited by Swithin StCleeve
sp
  • Like 1

It's also good to read modern books written so enthusiastically about visual astronomy as a leisure pursuit. More and more frequently it seems that astrophotography  has become the main part of the hobby, (particularly if you look on line). I love it that these books are written for the people who like to seek out these objects and see them with their own eyes. 

• Like 5

Fully agree with the above statements. O’Meara’s books are indeed very well written. The first two (Messier and Caldwell) cover the brighter objects. The second two volumes (Treasures and Deep) go deeper and are for more advanced observers. I have the 2nd edition of the Caldwell objects, which is updated and - most importantly - includes a whole sky map of Caldwell objects. One thing that is missing from the other volumes sadly (this is the only minor criticism!).

It would be great if someone could print a map with objects from all four books shown...

Hidden Treasures does not seem to be available anymore new. As this one is missing from my collection, I am hoping for a second edition (maybe with a map).

Edited by Froeng
  • Like 1

Rother Valley Optics list Hidden Treasures at £39.00, but they also say check with them for stock before ordering. I'm going to get the Secret Deep, and keep my eye out for a second edition of Hidden Treasures if it gets printed. I've still got loads of objects that are new to me in the Caldwell book.
The forward of the Caldwell edition - where O'Meara gets a phone call off the ill guy asking about the name of a star, actually got me choked up. I wasn't expecting that!

I recommend  the RASC Finest NGC Objects as a next step deep sky from Messier.  It is based more on an object's attractiveness rather than a catalogue like the Herschel List which has many unfulfilling 'ticks'.  Being a Canadian list is great for northern latitudes.  I have trawled through the Herschel list once, however keep returning to the Finest NGC Objects.

https://www.rasc.ca/finest-ngc-objects 

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2

That's a very interesting link, thanks Paul, I've bookmarked it, and I'll buy some paper later and do some printing off later, there's some pretty good PDFs on there.

You're right that all we really want, after exhausting the Messier list, is a list of the brightest, coolest stuff to see that isn't in the messier list, basically. My observation notes only have about thirty or so objects that have no Messier number, so I've got plenty to try and find. I also like it that they differentiate between go-to scopes and star-hopping. I've nothing against go-to scopes (having used one to work my way around the Virgo galaxies), but when it comes to observation reports, the method used should always be stated I think.
I sometimes read reports on here and I'm unsure if people have used a go-to or not. But that's probably because I'm not very equipment savvy, and don't recognise the mounts detailed.  

• Like 1