Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging Issues with ZWO 533

Hey everyone! So I am a massive newb to astrophotography, so I apologize if this is a an easy fix or a silly solution, but i cannot get a good picture out of my ZWO ASI 533 and Zenithstar 61. I am using an ASIAIR Pro to image, but I can only get pictures that look like the one pictured below. I am not sure what I am doing wrong on my end. Any help Would be amazing! :) 

4A7DDAC6-FA40-4B2B-9974-B46CE27A74F4.png

Hi is histogram set to auto. I would think it's a focus issue. It's a good idea if it's a new set up to focus daytime on something distant. Even from a window if views are limited. Tho you will have to shorten exposure times accordingly. 

• Like 1

thank you guys for the responses! I am not 100% if the histo was set to auto, but I sort of have a feeling that it wasn't. I was not shooting at anything in particular, just a bright group of stars that were visible in my suburban New Jersey light. Wanted to test the new setup with just the camera, telescope and tripod before adding guidescope, mount etc.. First thing in the morning I will be going out and testing in the daylight. That is a great idea!

You'll probably have to put an Autostretch on in the histogram to see anything in your previews at night, especially for 2 sec exposures. I use the 296MC Pro and that's what I have to do.

In the day, focus on something as far away as possible and that should get you somewhere near the ballpark for focus at night. Also a good idea to do the same with your guidescope/cam. Depending in the make/models, some can be a bitch to focus in the dark. 

If you have to do it at night or twilight, use the moon. Very helpful for focus. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarinersinSpace said:

Hey everyone! So I am a massive newb to astrophotography, so I apologize if this is a an easy fix or a silly solution, but i cannot get a good picture out of my ZWO ASI 533 and Zenithstar 61. I am using an ASIAIR Pro to image, but I can only get pictures that look like the one pictured below. I am not sure what I am doing wrong on my end. Any help Would be amazing! :)

4A7DDAC6-FA40-4B2B-9974-B46CE27A74F4.png

At two seconds you should see some stars but you may be too fat out of focus to see them. Try flashing a torch into the scope if the image doesn't go completely white you have a camera problem or you left the lens cap on 😉

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 2

I really do appreciate all of the help! I am a full-time doctoral student and full-time teacher so I don't have all the time in the world to get outside and practice my craft (Although I would like to), so getting answers to these types of questions helps me out TREMENDOUSLY. I am going to head out and do some day-time focusing practice here pretty soon so I will keep you all updated :) 

1 hour ago, MarinersinSpace said:

I really do appreciate all of the help! I am a full-time doctoral student and full-time teacher so I don't have all the time in the world to get outside and practice my craft (Although I would like to), so getting answers to these types of questions helps me out TREMENDOUSLY. I am going to head out and do some day-time focusing practice here pretty soon so I will keep you all updated :) 

A horizon is a good place to start with focus. Just dark-light.

Olly

• Like 1

So I was able to find focus using my Nikon 5300 through the ASIAIR, but still failed to get any focus using the 533. Every picture I took was pure white and distorted with green blobs, no matter the exposure or auto-histo. I was also cooling the camera this time. I am sure it just beginning headaches, and the more I experiment, I should be able to figure it out. 

If you test the camera at day time you need really short exposures. Daytime: fractions of a second at gain 0, Nightime: one second to focus at high gain (ca 500) and one or a few minutes when you image (gain 100 I think for that camera).

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MarinersinSpace said:

So I was able to find focus using my Nikon 5300 through the ASIAIR, but still failed to get any focus using the 533. Every picture I took was pure white and distorted with green blobs, no matter the exposure or auto-histo. I was also cooling the camera this time. I am sure it just beginning headaches, and the more I experiment, I should be able to figure it out. 

Perhaps you need more outward focus distance by way of adapters or extension tubes? The sensor on a DSLR is set further back from the front of the body than on many dedicated cameras.

My DSLR needs nearly full inward focus travel to reach focus on my big Newtonian scope. With my ASI178 camera I need to wind it out some distance.

Look at the images on this link: http://astro-shed.com/2021/03/17/az-gti-wo-z61-and-zwo-asi-183/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, gorann said:

If you test the camera at day time you need really short exposures. Daytime: fractions of a second at gain 0, Nightime: one second to focus at high gain (ca 500) and one or a few minutes when you image (gain 100 I think for that camera).

my gain was definitely not zero. That could be the issue. Going back out now lol

You guys are absolute geniuses. I added about 10 mm worth of extenders to my 533 and put the gain to zero, and I found focus on my 533 finally on a tree line about 200 yards out. I feel like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Thank you all so much! It's a little step, but feels massive to me :)

• Like 1

You are welcome!

For imaging at night I suggest you put gain at 100 and offset at about 30. Sensor temperature at -15°C. 1 - 3 min exposures works fine on most objects.

7 minutes ago, gorann said:

You are welcome!

For imaging at night I suggest you put gain at 100 and offset at about 30. Sensor temperature at -15°C. 1 - 3 min exposures works fine on most objects.

Just screenshotted this reply. Will do! Can't wait for the next clear night. 

• Like 1