Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New 3D printed mount for ZWO EAF / William Optics RedCat 51

Hello Stargazers!

Someone on Facebook shared this 3D printed mounting system for the William Optics RedCat 51. It is designed specifically for ZWO's EAF motor. You can also add 2 accessories, like a guide scope or an ASIAIR, with a compatible finder shoe (the 'cat handle' from WO can be used). Since this is a quite a popular combo, I thought I would share! :) 

I purchased one recently and I am still expecting its delivery. The cost was about 50€. It is now for sale at Astroshop.eu, but maybe @FLO would be interested as well for the UK market?

The print seems to be very good quality and durable. Lauri, the seller, has been very responsive and helpful. I'll try to post my first impression as soon as I receive the kit.

Here are a few pictures from his website. It really looks like a compact and sleek solution to mount everything together. The DeepSkyDad version is very popular among RedCat users, but it is 2x more expensive and I don't like the fact that the focuser is below the scope, I fear it makes balancing on smaller mounts more complex.

I also wonder if the kit could be adapted to the Samyang 135mm. Since the ring from the RedCat can be used with the Samyang, perhaps the only thing needed for this kit to work, is a slightly different focusing ring. Anyway, that's on my list of things to test!

Tiedosto_006-0.jpeg

Tiedosto_010-3.jpeg

Double.jpg

Tiedosto_017.jpeg

• Like 3

I'd never thought I'd look at a mounting unit and think "Hey, that's sweet....", but I just did.  I'm just wondering if I'd be able to modify that to sit on my kit as down the line I'd like a RedCat, but the current kit is only a few millimeters the difference on the focussing ring.

I have received the kit yesterday. Really happy with it so far! It is very well thought and made, the print quality seems pretty good :)  I need to test the focus, but for this I'll need to carefully place the ring. Only half of the focus ring has teeth, therefore it needs to be placed in a certain position.

The only drawbacks that I have found, is that you cannot open the RedCat's tube ring with the kit mounted. Also, you cannot screw the dew shield in a retracted position anymore, due to the toothed ring. But it still fits my storage box, so not a big deal!

A good surprise is that it's almost a perfect fit as well for the Samyang 135mm lens! Since the lens can use the RedCat's tube ring, I had to test it. The toothed ring almost fits, but it's very tight and I'm not sure the screws would work. Probably 1-2mm more diameter for the toothed ring would be perfect. The rest of the components can remain the same.

I'm still waiting on a replacement gear from the seller, apparently the one I received is a bit too tight. I'll test the motor once I have this replacement unit, so I can compare both gears and see which one works best.

Here are a few pictures! :)

IMG_0349.thumb.JPG.4763bcbefc8634f7457c4e951313adf2.JPG

IMG_0350.thumb.JPG.4ea9595ecab1cb4ff9f7619cbaf59940.JPG

IMG_0351.thumb.JPG.c06321e2bea6deb1469b75f1e1f9cc5d.JPG

IMG_0352.thumb.JPG.10ac3927597a0c928ae9a743050e39ab.JPG

Looks like an interesting new way of putting an EAF, ASIAIR Pro and Guidescope onto the Redcat 51...

I hope it works out for you 👍🏻

I have a Redcat/ZWO rig and have just done a complete rebuild as I could not find a stable balance point on the DEC axis. My gear was mounted on a Large WO Dovetail Plate but I’ve now gone with the ‘stock’ long plate that came with the refractor... I used the mounting plate supplied with the EAF and put it back to back with the guidescope to mount the ASIAIR Pro... from a balance perspective it now works perfectly... 

Clear Skies‼️

BEFORE and AFTER...

4E33A9DE-1614-4FA9-A3B1-47D02CA51042.thumb.jpeg.497df4efd3eaabd7767e059d3da3b4b7.jpeg
AFTER...

2E2847D5-6242-4848-8FDC-F68517E798B5.thumb.jpeg.c90cf05b1ed2cb149689819270098b0a.jpeg2D1EDB0C-2B7F-4027-9475-6F0871C474FF.thumb.jpeg.cd34389f837972d65dd5e402bd71299d.jpeg

• Like 2

The BlackCat mount is now available at FLO :) 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/proastrogear-black-cat-mount-connects-zwo-asiair-eaf-and-guide-scope-to-the-william-optics-redcat-51-telescope.html

I am in also touch with Lauri to see how this mount could be adapted to support the Samyang/Rokinon 135mm lens, as explained above. I am expecting some prototypes to see what would be the best fit. 

• Like 1

Received the Black-Cat from FLO on Tuesday, quiet happy with it so far.

The instructions  could do with a little tweaking as there were a couple areas that took a little longer to get right .

The only issues I have found so far are;

The large gear may be a little small as I have had to loosen the   gear as it was causing warping of the rubber, but this was resolved by loosing it enough so its tight enough to rotate the focuser but not  so tight, this was mentioned in the guide.

With the large gear only being teethed on one half I run out of teeth before max outward travel, it remains to be seen if  this will be an issue in the field but if there  was one bit of feedback to give the manufacturer it would be to make it so the teeth  extend to about 75% of the whole gear rather than 50%.

Maddie

• Like 1

On 05/05/2021 at 10:30, Space Oddities said:

Hello Stargazers!

Someone on Facebook shared this 3D printed mounting system for the William Optics RedCat 51. It is designed specifically for ZWO's EAF motor. You can also add 2 accessories, like a guide scope or an ASIAIR, with a compatible finder shoe (the 'cat handle' from WO can be used). Since this is a quite a popular combo, I thought I would share! :) 

I’ve ordered one from FLO recently. Just awaiting delivery.

• 5 months later...

3454DC82-BA29-4BC7-937D-65F2EDC8B3CD.thumb.jpeg.a1898635a47630ad7fce9c18ca39042c.jpegI purchased one of these with the EAF a few months back but have only just had the opportunity to use it in anger.  I was already impressed with an impatient ‘dry-fit’ and test of the EAF.  Now I’ve had the chance to use it for an imaging session, I’m even more impressed.  Both balance and focus are spot on!  Great solution and fairly cheap in comparison to similar products.

👍🏻 Noddy

Edited by John Nodding
  • Like 1