Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 5070

Rustang

Captured over the last 4 nights.

Ha - 4hrs, OIII 4hrs 30mins (600 sec subs)

SW80 ED DS PRO, SW HEQ5 PRO

QHY9 Mono CCD

Baader filters

Stacked in DDS, processed in PS.

This took a long time to process and Ive just managed to accidentally save over my tiff file by mistake with a smaller image size tiff. I still have the image but sadly I cant really edit it anymore, gutted! 😪

PelicanNebulaPeg.jpg

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 22

15 minutes ago, peter shah said:

That's beautiful and an early one a sure sign the summer is nearly here.....

Thank you, yeah its a bit early, Ive been imaging it between 1:45am and 4am when its rising into the sky :)

Edited by Rustang

28 minutes ago, geeklee said:

That looks fantastic again @Rustang Looking at the image, I hadn't realised it was bi-colour until reading the info above it!  The "back" of the Pelican's head with the varying brightness in the swirling nebula looks amazing.

Thanks 😊 I tend to process as I go and how the colours delvelop along the way which tends to move it away from a true bi colour image but I like to add a touch artistic license with what develops. 

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

So having accidentally saved over my tiff file with a much smaller image size, I had the image still but the file size would have been to small to ever get printed. While I still had some of the stages of the editing process saved, I decided to reprocess the image. I sat back and looked at the original for ages and just found it to flat, it needed a little more depth. Hopefully I haven't over done but I honestly much prefer it now. I also found I much preferred it on its side!

Thoughts welcome.

PeliJpeg.thumb.jpg.941ae9ad5c802a00a6d6079e5996ac53.jpg

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Lovely again @Rustang  How does the full size one look - is it too noisy, hence resized/rescaled? 

This one certainly has more drama to it... deeper, harder contrasts.  Fantastic.

What happened was I saved the original tiff file by accident to the normal size it would be for posting a jpeg online so to small for re processing or printing, once I had pressed save, there was sadly no reverting back. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't print at a decent size before getting noisy and look crap. This is now a jpeg of the re process and the Tiff file is saved correctly at original size. 

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rustang said:

This is now a jpeg of the re process and the Tiff file is saved correctly at original size. 

Yeah, I was mainly angling for a look at a jpeg of the full size version - if you were happy with how it looks at the full size of course ☺️ 😉  I keep clicking on it to try and view a bigger version!

Edited by geeklee

9 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Yeah, I was mainly angling for a look at a jpeg of the full size version - if you were happy with how it looks at the size of course ☺️ 😉  I keep clicking on it to try and view a bigger version!

I see, sorry 😊 I wasn't sure what size you could put on here so always resize to 1200 on the longest side. I have learnt a new technique for noisy data which has really helped with the noise of my limited data so still looks pretty good a full size although a long way from silky smooth. Obviously viewing a tiff is much better than a jpeg, can you post tiffs on here!? Do images normally go bigger on here once clicked on !? 

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Obviously viewing a tiff is much better than a jpeg, can you post tiffs on here!? Do images normally go bigger on here once clicked on also!? 

That's OK, I should have just asked :D  You're right, the compression into PNG and JPEG isn't always great, but I think they're part of a small type of image set you can post (no TIFFs I believe - except as an attachment for people to download of course).

When you insert an image, you can then double click it and choose the size you want it in the post.  If it was a bigger image, you can open it in another tab and you'll get the full size version.

Edited by geeklee
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, geeklee said:

That's OK, I should have just asked :D  You're right, the compression into PNG and JPEG isn't attractive, but I think they're part of a small type of image set you can post (no TIFFs I believe - except as an attachment for people to download of course).

When you insert an image, you can then double click it and choose the size you want it in the post.  If it was a bigger image, you can open it in another tab and you'll get the full size version.

Il take a look 😊

11 minutes ago, geeklee said:

That's OK, I should have just asked :D  You're right, the compression into PNG and JPEG isn't always great, but I think they're part of a small type of image set you can post (no TIFFs I believe - except as an attachment for people to download of course).

I've just uploaded the image as a jpeg at the original tiff size, not sure if that has made a difference!? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rustang said:

I've just uploaded the image as a jpeg at the original tiff size, not sure if that has made a difference!? 

It has, I've opened that in a new tab and done the typical browser "click to zoom" (cursor turns to a magnifying glass with a plus sign) function and am now enjoying the 1:1 version - thanks :) it looks great 👍

2 minutes ago, geeklee said:

It has, I've opened that in a new tab and done the typical browser "click to zoom" (cursor turns to a magnifying glass with a plus sign) function and am now enjoying the 1:1 version - thanks :) it looks great 👍

Don't look to close! you will see its many flaws! Best viewed from a far!  😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Don't look to close! you will see its many flaws! Best viewed from a far!  😉

😅 All I see is a great image but with loads more detail I can enjoy👍 

I'll let the creator "enjoy" any flaws - I do it enough on my own images, I'm certainly not looking for it elsewhere! 😅

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, geeklee said:

😅 All I see is a great image but with loads more detail I can enjoy👍 

I'll let the creator "enjoy" any flaws - I do it enough on my own images, I'm certainly not looking for it elsewhere! 😅

Thanks 🙂  I'm terrible, way to critical but once in a while it calms down and I enjoy my work again! I guess it helps strive for a better image.

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1