Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where to go next?

DanLXIX

OK aside from the moon, which is so easy of course, I've not done any planetary because I use a DLSR. Quite a few years ago I modified a Microsoft Lifecam to try it out, but it's taken me until now to dig it out of the box and try it.

Last night I just thought I'd stick it in a Barlow and point it at Mars to see if it even worked. Captured a minute in Sharpcap and ran it through Registax to get this. THis is the first time I've tried this, and I haven't really read up any details on the process, so I'm sure this is not the way to do it. It was just a test run though. Compared to what I see others getting this is dire, but I'm happy that the camera mod worked I suppose. I assume this is about as good as can be achieved with a camera like this?

I'd like to do this with better results, so what would be a good way to head camera wise that will work on my 150PDS, but not break the bank?

pipp_000_21_02_45_f615.jpg

Edited by DanLXIX
typo

• 3 weeks later...

Practice on the Moon, close up on a few nice craters near the terminator. Get your capture and processing technique. The best work flow is to align and stack the captured video in Autostakkert 2 or 3. Then use Registax to do wavelet sharpening. Then to finish in Photoshop or Gimp. 

Then get ready for Jupiter and Saturn which will be visible later in the summer. 

When you have the basic flow working for the planets, then use WinJupos to de-rotate and combine several images - now you are into advanced imaging techniques.

Good luck on your jurey.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

As has been said Mars is very small currently. The gas Giants are low, but as they rise earlier and eralier as the year  goes on, they will become decent targets as well, despite the low altitude. Keep practicing on the Moon and you will be ready for them. There are 100s of Lunar targets to chose from that are completely from one night to the next depending on the level of illumiation.