Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Big faint prom still there this morning

Luke

Just been enjoying the large prom again this morning. It is quite faint with my ED100 and Quark and popping a towel over my head certainly helped with this one!

To me it looked about six to seven times as tall as the bright prom, and was sort of a triangle shape bending in a nice arc. Maybe a fusion of the Leaning Tower of Pisa with the Eiffel tower :D

The active region is still showing a nice collection of small spots, but it's the prom that's the star at the mo for me. I'm very interested to see how it comes out on camera if anyone is lucky enough to grab it, how much the cam can see of a faint big one!

It's been a lovely month for me, a few decent proms and my fifth night session last night - focused mainly on the lovely globular clusters. But of course it's extra special to see a star close up!

😎

Edited by Luke
  • Like 2

I’ve been watching this for the past couple of days.

yes, it was very impressive.

under poor conditions I obtained a good image early this morning before the rain.....

I ‘ll try to post when I get home.

094929ccc.jpg

Edited by Merlin66
image added
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wow, thanks for the view, Ken, that's come out very well. It looks like a Tintin rocket to me!

spacer.png

Well done Michael, thanks for the description, I did notice that brighter area too.

I managed another quick look at 11am. It looked less triangular to me and maybe a bit fainter. Still huge and a great sight! A quick look in white light too, I could see at least a dozen little spots though I thought it looked better yesterday. Seeing was not as good as yesterday though.

All this solar fun is making me think about life after Quark (mine is so-so and has a dirty view that was better suited to imaging, and my wife's has packed in - no idea how long mine will last) and wondering if I would feel more confident this time doing a PST mod. Some of the PST images I have seen are amazing and I think stretching to an 80mm, 90 or 100mm double-stacked scope is gonna be a big ask. Thank goodness white light is much cheaper!

Edited by Luke
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

I’ve been watching this for the past couple of days.

yes, it was very impressive.

under poor conditions I obtained a good image early this morning before the rain.....

I ‘ll try to post when I get home.

094929ccc.jpg

I was observing this in a PST around 8 am, it didn't look quite as good as it does in your fine image though 😄.