Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Filter Sheet

Mikey0368

I too, would recommend the Baader visual standard solar film.  The Thousand Oaks material is thicker, the thinness of the Baader film is what gives it it's unique optical properties and it will give a superior view.  In its favour, the Thousand Oaks film will produce an orange coloured Sun.  Anyone doubting the strength of the  Baader film should take an offcut and try and break it by  pulling it apart.  All film filters are of course can be cut by a sharp object, so be careful.      🙂

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I too, would recommend the Baader visual standard solar film.  The Thousand Oaks material is thicker, the thinness of the Baader film is what gives it it's unique optical properties and it will give a superior view.  In its favour, the Thousand Oaks film will produce an orange coloured Sun.  Anyone doubting the strength of the  Baader film should take an offcut and try and break it by  pulling it apart.  All film filters are of course can be cut by a sharp object, so be careful.      🙂

+1 what Peter quoted

I bought some of the thick polymer solar film to compare to the Baader a few years ago. One use and the polymer film went in the bin. Just didn’t compare to the Baader film. If you want a yellow sun just use a yellow eyepiece filter as well as the film.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

...or project your image and be done with filters and such. Dangerous if not done properly! Worked a treat during the eclipse of 2017 here in the USA. I plan on doing it bigger and badder than ever before for the 2024 eclipse, and may project the image on to the side of my house! I have a fist surface mirror, and need little else, to make my house a projector screen. Experiments go on, with both my tracker and my EQM 35 Pro. I want ALL the light I can get coming out of the ep.

Johninderby,

I have given much thought to the sun funnel design, and it is appealing. A simple scope, if all metal and glass, is best so as to not melt down during solar observations. I have my scope all set up and ready to go at a moment’s notice, and my work goes on, but thunderstorms are causing me havoc. It’s raining right now, no not hard but raining. My solar observations, and all else, may have to wait a day, or more.