Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Croc's Eye Galaxy (M94) - I'm Such a Bare Bones Imager!

Chris

I'm not entirely sure why I tend to skip some of the imaging aids which are designed to actually make life easier? I do get a buzz from finding objects and imaging them the old way, but maybe I should drag myself into the 2020's lol Does anyone else tend to keep things simple? (or more difficult depending on how you look at it) 

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 2

• Chris changed the title to The Croc's Eye Galaxy (M94) - I'm Such a Bare Bones Imager!

Great result Chris, informative and entertaining as always. Sounds like the the 462 is a great cam, although the sensor makes even my Lodestar look large!   Nothing wrong with doing things the hard way by the way. Your next challenge is to image without electricity. 🙂

• Haha 1

Crikey, I thought I kept things basic, but you are even more basic than me.  

I DON'T USE-

Use computerised mount control - I use the handset.  (I have and can use EQMod but find handset easier). 

I don't use PHD2, I still use PHD1 (because it works just fine, so why change?)

I don't use plate solving.

I don't automate my observatory, it's all done manually.

BUT I DO USE;

GOTO, I'd shudder at the thought of trying to manually find my target.

When I used to use a DSLR I had a 12V electronic substitute battery so I didn't have to stop to re-charge or change the battery. 

Once all up and running, I retreat indoors and access my laptop in the observatory remotely.

Carole 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Great result Chris, informative and entertaining as always. Sounds like the the 462 is a great cam, although the sensor makes even my Lodestar look large!   Nothing wrong with doing things the hard way by the way. Your next challenge is to image without electricity. 🙂

Many thanks, and er? well Rob, I've 'sort of' already done that 🙃 Does a shot of the Moon with an old SLR back in 1997 count? It was sort of in focus! 😃 

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Crikey, I thought I kept things basic, but you are even more basic than me.  

I DON'T USE-

Use computerised mount control - I use the handset.  (I have and can use EQMod but find handset easier). 

I don't use PHD2, I still use PHD1 (because it works just fine, so why change?)

I don't use plate solving.

I don't automate my observatory, it's all done manually.

BUT I DO USE;

GOTO, I'd shudder at the thought of trying to manually find my target.

When I used to use a DSLR I had a 12V electronic substitute battery so I didn't have to stop to re-charge or change the battery. 

Once all up and running, I retreat indoors and access my laptop in the observatory remotely.

Carole 

Hey Carole, I've not always been quite this basic I promise 😀 

Other than the guiding I used to image very similarly to yourself with the good old hand controller. Although I must say the Explore Stars app of the EXOS2 PMC 8 is actually very good compared to previous wifi controlled mounts I've tested out. It works well when I do use it :) 

Edited by Lockie

16 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Your not the only one Chris.

I find the old way the best way, even though it's harder.

There is that visual astronomers buzz you get when finding an object manually yourself :) I'm very intrigued by plate solving though. I'm going to try NINA and one of the many plate solving software programs out there, although I probably should get guiding up and running first. 

2 hours ago, Lockie said:

Many thanks, and er? well Rob, I've 'sort of' already done that 🙃 Does a shot of the Moon with an old SLR back in 1997 count? It was sort of in focus! 😃 

Definitely counts Chris! Though I feel a Monty Python sketch coming on ..... “...camera, well I call it a camera, it was more like a shoe box with a pinhole in the side....”. 😆

Anyway don’t want to divert from your super vid. 👍  

• Haha 1