Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LBN777 The Baby Eagle Nebula in Taurus

gorann

Back in October I found this faint object by surfing in Taurus on Aladin Sky Atlas and did not recognize it until I started processing and suddenly realized I was looking at the Baby Eagle. Seeing was not the best and processing was quite challenging. I have now had the EZ star reduction script in PI to have a go at it. It really helped to suppress the star field to a level that lets the faint nebulosity shine.

Data gathered with a RASA 8 and ASI2600MC, 73 x 4 min at gain 100. I like they way this combo can bring out colour and light in objects that often look rather dull.

20201018-19 LBN777 RASA PS49smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 23

Nice one! There is an astonishing colour range isn't there, it must be quite gratifying to get that in an image.

There must be vast amounts of such dust around, so I think you've got several year's work ahead of you yet 😉

Ian

Edited by The Admiral

Just now, The Admiral said:

Nice one! There is an astonishing colour range isn't there, it must be quite gratifying to get that in an image.

Ian

Thanks a lot Ian! Yes, the more I look at it the more I like the colours and also see structures I had not initially noticed. Just now, when looking at the posted image, I notice a broad vertical band of faint dark nebulosity in the top right quadrant.

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Nicely done Gorann, I've had a couple of goes at it but need darker skies.

Dave

Thanks Davey! Yes, darker skies really help. I never regretted moving out of a city;-)

3 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Cracking image...

Must admit that is never seen this target before so I looked it up... bigger than I thought so that's a bonus.. shame I've got to wait until the end of the year as it's out of my view

Thanks!

It is very faint so if you are going to image it be patient! I do not think you can see it visually with any ordinary scope.