NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Exposure delay mode enquiry

Dougie Smart

Hi All,

I currently have a Nikon D3200 DSLR camera and wondered if this camera type has 'exposure delay mode' to minimise vibration when taking long exposures?

Effectively, in this mode (if this camera has one), the mirror is raised a couple of seconds before the sensor activates (I assume that the reverse happens when the shutter is closed again).

I have had a look in the manual as well as going through the settings and can't find a way of doing this.

Failing that, can the mirror be removed completely and the camera still operates (obviously I would loose the ability to use the view finder and would need to do all my pictures through the 'live' mode on the camera LCD screen)?

I am planning to send my camera away anyway to have it astro photography tuned so that I can obtain better H-Alpha sensitivity.

I hope that someone can advise.

All the best,

Dougie

On 24/03/2021 at 13:52, Dougie Smart said:

Hi All,

I currently have a Nikon D3200 DSLR camera and wondered if this camera type has 'exposure delay mode' to minimise vibration when taking long exposures?

Effectively, in this mode (if this camera has one), the mirror is raised a couple of seconds before the sensor activates (I assume that the reverse happens when the shutter is closed again).

I have had a look in the manual as well as going through the settings and can't find a way of doing this.

Failing that, can the mirror be removed completely and the camera still operates (obviously I would loose the ability to use the view finder and would need to do all my pictures through the 'live' mode on the camera LCD screen)?

I am planning to send my camera away anyway to have it astro photography tuned so that I can obtain better H-Alpha sensitivity.

I hope that someone can advise.

All the best,

Dougie

Dougie, you could try using the delay setting (page 33 user manual) which, i believe raises the mirror before shutteer releases, also, have you got a remote shutter release,  under £10 on ebay ML-L3 IR Wireless Remote Control for Nikon D3000 D3200 D3400 D5000 D40X D70 HQ  this will allow you to shoot without touching the shutter release, so again less wobble   sorry about the white writing, started when i added the ebay link.let me know how you get on. Lum

manual for  Nikon D3200 on google in case you have not got one 

Edited by tonylumley
  • Like 1

Cheers for the advice. I just ended up gluing the mirror to the open position, rather than removing it. It's an older camera anyway and so think I'll try and remove the filter next to the sensor myself (so I can get more of that lovely red light to enhance nebulousity). Worst case scenario I break the camera, best case I've saved a few Bob. 

If you search in the box (top right ) for 'nikon d3200' , well over 400 results come up, I'm sure one of those could lead you to an answer, or at worst to an individual who uses a d3200 and can answer from personal knowledge.

Live view (LV , a simple button on the back of a d3300) locks the mirror up, but that button may not be on a 3200 .It might be accessed as a menu option though.

There is a quiet shooting mode on the D3200, but I'm not sure if that is the same as on the D810's I use as that slows the movement down some of the shutter and mirror.

Another way around it if you are doing attended shooting, though it's a bit cumbersome, is to get a black card (or table tennis paddle) hold that in front of the lens/objective, hit the shutter release and then move the black thing out the way.